Kona Explosif 1997 team edition

Re:

Well done mate; I am breathing a sigh of relief here too. That case looks like real quality - good choice.

Thursday eh ;)... I really am pleased for you Al, and admire the way that you have taken this on. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Do you have some company work to do before then?

Take care.

Pip

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition: maiden voyage (P1:cool:

did I miss something here ?? you went with the Explosif to California for some rides :cool:

magas":1ordj2zw said:
did I miss something here ?? you went with the Explosif to California for some rides :cool:

That's pretty much it! It's looking unlikely we'll be heading out today because of the rain. It really chucks it down here; there was a massive rain storm overnight.

Re:

Blimey Al, you seem to be having a blast of a time. Hanging out with Pat – what a cool experience.

Did you get introduced to any other legends that he still rides with like Charlie Kelly or Joe Breeze – I see that Gary Fisher was over at his place in December!

Pip.

So, more importantly, how does it ride? Which forks feel better, the Bombers or the RC36's on the other one?

Re:

I wasn't sure how to update this thread now I'm back in the UK. So this might be a little random so please bare with me.

As you have seen, I was extremely fortunate to spend 3 days in Fairfax, California; for me, the birth of modern day mountain biking as we know it. Yes, there were earlier cases and earlier pioneers but for me, this is where the planets aligned and the sport was born. If you want to know more about that and who the players were, including our very own Charlie and Pat, Google is your friend as is Charlie's wonderful book: https://fattireflyer.com/

YQtBxX.jpg

The planets really aligned for me. I knew in November I'd be just south of San Francisco in January, and when I found out it would be the day after my 40th and I'd have the Explosif ready, that was enough of a sign to spend additional time in CA and head to the birthplace of mountain biking with my prized possession, ready for her first outing.

What none of us can control is the weather and CA has had, I quote, the worst winter in 20 years. To us Europeans, it's pretty typical but even the rain I saw was extremely heavy; proper storms straight off the Pacific. But the terrain is very different; similar in look, but the ground is more hard-packed clay because of the long summer months. It means the water flows straight off with very few boggy or sticky areas. This meant, despite natures best intentions, we were still able to get 2 rides in.

It really was an honour to ride with a fellow liked minded soul, even more so it was with someone 'who was there' and has 'seen it, done it' and more so! The added bonus is that Pat is just a lovely guy; echoing my sentiments to everyone I met in CA. Playing to stereotypes perhaps, but they really are laid-back, friendly and just all round ace people.

I have an album full of pictures, some I'd like to keep for me - my selfie with one Joe Breeze and more - but I'd be a right kill-joy if I didn't share some of the bike, me, Pat and the incredible riding country. It was clear after 5 minutes in the saddle why the planets aligned there in the early 70's.

My absolute favourite shot of the trip, it sums everything up: epic view, amazing trails, and me trying to take it all in. Kudos to Pat for getting the exposure right. (What it doesn't show is that 5 minutes previously it was tipping it down). This was from the first ride off to the west of Fairfax.

2iy4nl.jpg

I think this was the only time we saw the top of Mount Tam for the duration my stay. Yep, Repack runs down there - way too muddy for anyone at the moment to proper enjoy.

WUA9mS.jpg

ID1g9E.jpg

Followers of Pat's daily ride / blog will know what this is called:

qEG1T2.jpg

The grin says it all :D

rFhdcc.jpg

You may also recognise the finest bar in the world: beer, bikes and bratwurst! And no joke, the HB was as fresh as it was when I sampled in Munich 2 months before.

HrPux6.jpg

ofshyk.jpg

The second ride was even more spectacular, more north and slightly west of Fairfax we ended up climbing up to about 1,100ft and were only foiled by a token flat tyre from me (and not packing a pump :facepalm: ). However, that's the perfect excuse to come back - which I DEFINITELY will. Riding down some pretty steep downhill on a flat in wet conditions was great fun and a real test of my handling skills :D

fZPpuV.jpg

C5YIVE.jpg

UCVTqO.jpg

W7UqR6.jpg

SCa7qN.jpg

nhy06J.jpg

Back wence we came...

bpJc4g.jpg

...and soon slid back down! Token Explosif flat with my special saddle protection device, to be launched next year at a very reasonable £9.99.

orVX7Y.jpg

...not that it helped, I trashed it's NOS status but who gives a shit? Well me for a bit...then I realised I was riding in CA with Pat! That more than makes up for it!

How did she ride? Like a dream. That bike, any proper hard tail race bike, was born to ride on those trails. Wide enough to get some serious speed up and down, technical enough to sling it around and varied enough that you could probably just about keep up with some more modern machinery. Just though...because the calibre of rider here is strong - as you'd expect.

I'm going to hate myself a little bit when I say this, the Z2's are better than then RC36's. JUST. These have been tuned to my weight: they have better springs and therefore the rebound is better. They are heavier than the RC36's but that works in their favour. The front is more planted and sure, you have to shift your weight more to the rear when you're going down but they are much more plush and responsive. You feel even more confident; they didn't bottom out once. Don't get me wrong the RC36's are brilliant and if were on a really smooth fast trail they'd be the ones to use and they are infinitely better than Rock Shox of the same generation. But these are next level good: believe the hype.

Everything worked perfectly. The shifting was smooth like butter. Again, you get what you pay for: XT, M739, my workhorse go-to group-set is great, this XTR M950 is superb. The Avid combination was spot on; the best levers I've used and the Rivals provided a notable improvement: they really get stiff under serious braking. The wheel-set is light, agile and everything felt planted once I'd let out some air out of the tyres.

What's left to say other than I want to go back. Now. Please. When it's dry perhaps ;)

There's still more to the story. I've entered this into January's BOTM. There's more to tell about it's history. What Joe Breeze thought about it. Oh and me trying to source another new saddle!! (At least I have a rider one, then one for arty shots).

Back