Dent free Dave Yates Barn find, with issues (Pg5)

Re: Dave Yates Barn find ?? .......or a turd wearing Pace forks

Retro Spud":3scu9dgt said:
sinnerman":3scu9dgt said:
Now the question is..., do you keep the colours as the original owner chose them, or do you have that wonderful blank canvas to make it all your own...?

It looks to me to be in fabulous condition, with this I don't think I could help myself. :cool:

I'd dearly love to keep the paint as is, and quite prepared to put the elbow grease in to polish the hell out of it.

I've taken far too many frames to Argos, never regretted having any of them refinished with a fresh coat of paint, but they've always been beyond redemption... Hoping this one just looks like its seen a good few summers come and go, but along way from being over the hill

Thanks so much for taking the time to post the info above, very informative / helpful and an education to boot.

I'm really chuffed for you mate. It is Lovely. :cool:

That is so much nicer than those first photos showed. You've done well there! I really love those earlier bikes before things got a bit acronym silly and Max OR is just the icing in the cake. Rub down, polish, XT, done!

pete_mcc":xvusohcc said:
That is so much nicer than those first photos showed. You've done well there! I really love those earlier bikes before things got a bit acronym silly and Max OR is just the icing in the cake. Rub down, polish, XT, done!

Agreed.

But what I like about the Acronym bikes it just like you said Pete it started as a last minute silly Joke by Chas Roberts, But the story never fails to make me smile, 3 frame builders all quietly (and who would never admit of course), all trying to come up with the best tubing mix, a market advantage and the best riding bike and effectively be the Best...lol. (and they all got on famously)

It was a cool time to be a rider watching custom frame builders all chasing the dream.

it always appeared to me that these bikes were the first, where they realised graphics and colours really do make a bike Scream. Pace, Orange, Fat Chance, Klein were all In your Face 90s Cool. The British until this point always seemed a little out of sync to the Americans until these bikes. Graphics got updated, colours Got Louder.

And it worked, the tubing told each frame builders story, the paint and graphics updated the image, and the bikes got really good press.

with the higher import cost of American metal, with these you could have special, homegrown and Cool, top quality for marginally less money. I think this frame and fork would have been about £650/£700...? And the Fat Chance Yo Eddy would have landed at about £900..?

I dunno Pete, the Uk Mtb Scene all seemed a little reserved until the arrival of things like the Pace RC100, Orange, Zinn etc... Once this happened, reservation seemed to go out the window, it always looked to me like a Race for the Best.

xxnick1975":zxuizzra said:
Cool. Looks like a ti flexi stem too

I thought that too, can't imagine there are many of those still in circulation!

What a great score Nick! I bet you can't wait to get your hands on it? The colours are beautiful - I definitely wouldn't repaint it unless absolutely necessary.

Pretty sure the Ti Flexstem only came as a one piece bar/stem model; that's just a regular one but who cares right? That frameset! For free!

raidan73":3fbkalen said:
What a great score Nick! I bet you can't wait to get your hands on it? The colours are beautiful - I definitely wouldn't repaint it unless absolutely necessary.

Pretty sure the Ti Flexstem only came as a one piece bar/stem model; that's just a regular one but who cares right? That frameset! For free!

It is an 'ally' flex stem. Adrian is right ti was one piece bar/stem.

Coleman":1rcteygg said:
raidan73":1rcteygg said:

Oh well, that ^^ makes life a lot easier as I didn't like it anyway, great idea for its time but they don't exactly strike much of a pose in the "elegant" stakes.

Retro Spud":oz89b0b0 said:
Coleman":oz89b0b0 said:
raidan73":oz89b0b0 said:

Oh well, that ^^ makes life a lot easier as I didn't like it anyway, great idea for its time but they don't exactly strike much of a pose in the "elegant" stakes.

I remember mine used to creak!

Great find chap :)

It’s finally managed to make its way south from Toon land and found its way in doors to be greeted by the wife with
“MMMmm ….I know you said it needed some work, buts its aaahh bit ruff and can’t stay there, a very polite way of saying WTF now get it outside. Which was soon followed up by “You used to look at me once, like you’re looking at that …. Thing!”

Anyway before “it” went to my special area (Area 51 where time seems to stand still and I can lose two or more hours in the blink of an eye and a whole day in the time it takes to drink two cups of tea) I took a few (Quick) pics to document and share the starting point.

I’ve measured the frame and its
17” C2C or 19” C2T so not sure what size Dave would call this
Top tube is 22” C2C and the headtube appears to be 5¼

The first thing I spotted …….. I’ll save to last, and in the meantime feast your eyes on these dent free tubes,

With the exception of the seat tube all the others are oval, with the form spinning through 90 degrees as transition’s from the Vertical to horizontal and meets the BB etc

No idea who Robin Gunn is, but he sure as hell chose and spec’d the bike and colourway of the paint as his name (Whats left of it) appears to a water slide under the lacquer
Anyway Mr G wherever – whoever you are, you have great taste,

This will be the first and last time you’ll see a pic of any of my bikes upside down as it’s always really bugged me when folk do it and rag the ass end of the saddle and their bar ends or brakes up, particularly on gravel just to change a wheel (lazy bastards)

Hope the pic above is the serial number…. Is it ?
Would really like to know more about this frame and hoping Dave Yates has a record of it,

The crap on this frame and fork tells of just one story …. Neglect, however I lot of the dirt is stuck to grease and grime and the combination appears to have acted as water proof barrier, but that’s ^^ just dirt

The forks are rather nice and in reasonable shape, complete with what looks like a smoke paint job
Well that’s what it looks like to me as is zig zags and you can see who it was applied, With the exception of the yellow this smoke theme continues throughout the frame (see pic above of Red tubing)

What original equipment has survived appears to bear out Carls thought that it would be either Mavic or Suntour, and theres enough left to confirm it’s the latter

Suntour SE Pro

Suntour / Pederson Self Energising brakes and standard ones up front.

And the remaining hub now laced to a lot later rim

Period brake Levers, as is the XT 730 headset which makes it a bit mix and match even back then.

Now for the howler……

Coleman":3jdxm3hi said:
I remember mine used to creak!
Great find chap :)

Well this one clicks

The Seat post wasn’t seized, although I believe a 27.2mm is too big for the frame, but then the guy who fitted it must have thought the same.

As the bottom section has been cut off in order to get it in the frame.

Thankfully the pinch section hadn’t been noticeably damaged / overly stretched,

But this mother is a show stopper

Admittedly for the purpose of a photograph I’ve gently put it into an extreme position but even so, it explained the unusual clicking every time you pick it up/put it down.

Okay lets look at the facts
It came for next to no money, just a few beer tokens to cover the fuel cost of collection.
Had it not been broken, I guess the previous owner would still be riding it or have sold it for a few quid as a knackered pub bike, I certainly wouldn’t have had the opportunity to own it.

Of course I’m a little flat, but if it had to happen thank god its the down tube and the only tube on the whole bike that appears to be almost cylindrical top to bottom. As for cost, well that’s dependent on who does it and what materials are used I guess.

In the meantime I’ll be dropping Dave an email to find out more.

In the words of Ronan Keeting ……..Life is a roller coaster

sinnerman":32xf1zw5 said:
Retro Spud":32xf1zw5 said:
sinnerman":32xf1zw5 said:
Now the question is..., do you keep the colours as the original owner chose them, or do you have that wonderful blank canvas to make it all your own...?

It looks to me to be in fabulous condition, with this I don't think I could help myself. :cool:

I'd dearly love to keep the paint as is, and quite prepared to put the elbow grease in to polish the hell out of it.

I've taken far too many frames to Argos, never regretted having any of them refinished with a fresh coat of paint, but they've always been beyond redemption... Hoping this one just looks like its seen a good few summers come and go, but along way from being over the hill

Thanks so much for taking the time to post the info above, very informative / helpful and an education to boot.

I'm really chuffed for you mate. It is Lovely. :cool:

if/when it gets repaired it looks like the torch will put pay to the original paint ^

although I'm still tempted to clean and polish it up just to see what it could have looked like, and make it look a tad more presentable.

Back