My MTB's

Chris620gsi

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I'm a newbie to this site. but have had 'retro' bikes for many years.

I have 2 MTB's, the first a 1991 Merlin Malt 1 frame that I bought from new and built up with LX components and Mavic X317 rims. This was built for speed as it was mainly been used for a 24 mile round trip commute into London and some very light trail work so has no suspension.

I recently sold a 1991 Kirk Precision to a member on here as I couldn't get on with the flex and have replaced it with what I believe to be a modified 1988 Specialized Rockhopper. I bought it locally after seeing it advertised on ebay. The gentlemen now prefers Lambretta scooters so this lived in the spare roon and in the wardrobe for some time so his wife told me me. It has been extremely looked after having had a respray and chromed rear triangle and for ends but they only had StumpJumper decals available apparantly. XT 732 front and rear mechs with DX brake/shifter combo and DX cantilevers, Specialized crank with a 50 tooth big ring and XT pedals. It even has a period Rols saddle. It is spotless and rides like a dream, just like all my other bikes.

Since I began riding MTB's in 1987 I have had an MBK fluro tricolour thingy, a Muddy Fox Courier, A Cannondale SM400 (?) the one with the 24" rear wheel with a Zinn stem made from Reynolds 531 all from new and a GT Karakoram that I built up for commuting that I replaced with the Merlin after it snapped between the drive side chain stay and drop out on the way home one night. I got it mended but it just sat in the shed.

Being mainly a roadie, I also have a 2012 Raleigh Airlite 300 that I have improved with 105 levers to neaten up the cockpit by hiding the gear cables and a new set of Shimano R501 wheels. My pride and joy though is my Chas Roberts custom made for me in 1988 from Columbus SLX tubing and fitted with a mixture of Dura-Ace 8 speed and Campag Delta Record components. I will put up more details with pics of these in the roadie section if anyone is interested.

Unfortunately, all my pic files seem to be too large to attach so sorry. Any advice on how to compress?

Anyway, hello to everyone and I hope to be around for a while.
Chris

Re:

Welcome to the site.
You Specialized sounds like a well-looked after example with some refreshes over the years.
Interested to see your Roberts SLX as I'm a bit of a fan.
As for pictures, people use a hosting site like photobucket and link on here (I'm no expert on that) or I tend to use a resizing app on my phone. I use 'simple resize' on the iphone.
Cheers
Mat

Re:

Hi Chris and welcome

I'm so glad you purged your collection of an evil low rent Kirk before joining and can now be classed as a respectable and a credible member :D

Kirk, a jelly made from a ton of sea water... Good god man, what were you thinking when you bought it :shock:

When I get over the shock of owning Two, I'll post a pic of your old one sitting next to my earlier and sadly broken one.

Spud

Re:

Hi Ya Spud,

I hope the Kirk does you proud. I love them actually, but after riding such stiff bikes I just couldn't get on with the flex. Now if I could get hold of a Kirk Precision frame that would be awesome and would truly realise a childhood dream.

I shall get pics up ASAP.

Re:

For those interested I have just put up pics of the Roberts racer in the relevant section. Below is my Malt from about '91.

Camera%20031_zpsivwcuogf.jpg

Re:

And now my latest MTB...a 1988 Rockhopper (with Stumpjumper decals). She has been chromed and lovingly looked after by her former keeper.

P1020653_zpsyl299yap.jpg

Back