Dent free Dave Yates Barn find, with issues (Pg5)

Re: Dave Yates Barn find ?? .......or a turd wearing Pace forks

Araya had that style of stay too

araya-muddy-fox-1989-13022_2.jpg

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":n2pm0bzd said:
MatBH5":n2pm0bzd said:
Following... is it a DONKIS NOB?

I've no idea what model it is :oops:

Called my mate first thing this morning to make sure he took extra good care of it, and got this pic back of it in day light conditions outside one of his cattery pens where its now got board and lodgings,

the joins on the rear stays do look alot like Giom6's Vulcan posted on a previous page, and the rear brakes look to me a lot like SE Pederson / Suntour however rest of the kit is just tat of the lowest order

I guess the saddle was once a lovely bit of kit and one of the few bits of original kit left on it, but time hasn't been as kind to it as it has the paint.

Such a great Save.

Without the knowing the frame number, I think the fork dates the frame very well. Daves the man to ask a direct question too, as his records were a little better than Chas.

My guess would be a Diablo/Diabolo, stock frames were available with 3 fillet joints, in either Columbus Cromor OR, and also Columbus Nivacrom. The custom frame was also available with Columbus MAX which has Pete has said is what you have here. It had a retail price for just the frame of £499 with other custom options available for an additional £60. (it may never have actually seen the name adorn the frame of course dependent on the customers order requirements/paint decal options.) Dave did also offer a Diabolo in Reynolds 731 tubing (exclusive to Yates only at the time). This is certainly MAX tubing and top of the range model of its day, and from memory arriving just before the inception of the D.O.N.K.I.S N.O.B and the acronym bikes of the Big three here in the UK, which saw each frame builder using there own special mix of manufacturers tubes to create there interpretation of there frames best Ride capabilities.

A very lovely frame in what looks to be great shape.

I do love it when someone who really would love this quality, gets such a gift as this. It makes it all the more special.

Attachments

• Yates.jpg
    Yates.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 854

I love Columbus Max tubing. The shaped tubing just makes you wanna stare at it. And when your walking away, you cant help but turn for just one last glimpse. (sorry, it has always done that to me... :oops: )

Now the question is..., do you keep the colours as the original owner chose them, or do you have that wonderful blank canvas to make it all your own...?

It looks to me to be in fabulous condition, with this I don't think I could help myself. :cool:

Its Custom remember so there is no wrong answer, you cant go wrong here. In fact you are well in front given the costs so far...!

Ok don't quote me on this, because its from vague memory and a long long time ago. But I'm sure before the arrival of the D.O.N.K.I.S N.O.B and its mix of manufacturers tubesets all fabricated into one frame.

The Dave Yates of the Day that was fabricated to compete with the arrival of other top of the range bikes like the Orange Formula (yates) The Zinn Z-753, The Roberts White Spider-Ultralight, the Pace RC100,
was the....... "Dave Yates Diablo Team-Columbus Max OR".

I think this might just be one of those frames with an Original Set of Pace rc30s.

Like a lot of Uk frame builders at the time Suntour and Campagnolo was a favourite spec choice too, as they could buy these components in far smaller quantities than Shimano without the lead times that Shimano had either.

Re:

Paint looks great, would be a crime to repaint this

Just tear it down, degrease and rebuild.

Personally I'd reuse everything you have there bar the shifters, rear mech and chainset

Get a nice wheel set, new cables, grips, tyres and chain and you are away

That saddle will come up fine if you give it the saddle soap and leather cream treatment

Welgel

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":13c68lh8 said:
Paint looks great, would be a crime to repaint this

Just tear it down, degrease and rebuild.

Personally I'd reuse everything you have there bar the shifters, rear mech and chainset

Get a nice wheel set, new cables, grips, tyres and chain and you are away

That saddle will come up fine if you give it the saddle soap and leather cream treatment

Welgel

To be honest I'll keep what's original but everything is going, that said I don't plan on doing anything in haste and regretting it later.

sinnerman":1g5wwdhe said:
Now the question is..., do you keep the colours as the original owner chose them, or do you have that wonderful blank canvas to make it all your own...?

It looks to me to be in fabulous condition, with this I don't think I could help myself. :cool:

I'd dearly love to keep the paint as is, and quite prepared to put the elbow grease in to polish the hell out of it.

I've taken far too many frames to Argos, never regretted having any of them refinished with a fresh coat of paint, but they've always been beyond redemption... Hoping this one just looks like its seen a good few summers come and go, but along way from being over the hill

Thanks so much for taking the time to post the info above, very informative / helpful and an education to boot.

Back