1994 Scott Mohaka

"All roads lead to this"

touring.jpg

Pretty sure this is the final incarnation for now

... but then again maybe I'll have it painted to sort out the rust.

Not sure about the colour yet. The decals are not available anymore and way too difficult to replicate, so there's little point in sticking to the original colour.
I'm thinking about going either gloss black or the satin dark grey of the rims.

Looks really good considering it's age and with what you've changed on it and i'd have it painted the same as the rims or maybe even carbon dipped :shock: ..

moh_trailr.jpg

Have I worn out my welcome now or do I have to try even harder?
I could always attach the trailer to the Sbike or get me an Adroit for towing duties. :twisted:

and now I'm wondering if there are skinwalls in 16" and how it would do off-road.

Nice find RB ,

I do like a nice Scott , pleased you managed to find the one you were looking for . I like those tyres too :cool:

Good work GT Steve ;)

FWIW I think stick to original paint and patina . That's what I'm doing to my current project

Mike

Sooo ... well ... this happened ...

P1200244.JPG

P1200269.JPG

I decided to tackle the rust with a quick repaint, and as usual that plan snowballed right out of control. The frame had to be repainted a couple of times and then Gil was on holiday and I had to source some components still, so the bike ended up in pieces for 4.5 months.

P1200213.JPG

Lots of shiny new stuff, but now my cabinet of NOS parts is getting empty

P1200220.JPG

I just love the looks of that BB. Hopefully it lasts a bit longer than the UN55s that preceded it.

P1200222.JPG

The headlight gave me a bit of a scare. Turns out Cateye put the C-cell batteries in the light already BITD. So as soon as I opened the packaging and felt the weight of the new headlight itself, I thought "oh damn, if those batteries leaked it's either going to be a mess to clean up or the entire headlight is going to be ruined".
Fortunately I only had to pull out the plastic strip and the light turned on just fine. So for now I'm still on the original batteries.

Specs :

• Frame : 1994 Scott Mohaka, 16"
  • Forks : original
  • Stem : original
  • Headset : Shimano XT M736 - was NOS
  • Bottom bracket : Shimano BB-M730 68x122mm - was NOS
  • Crankset : Shimano XT FC-M730 (non-biopace) - was NOS
  • Front mech : Shimano XT FD-M735 28.6 bottom pull - was NOS
  • Rear mech : Shimano XT RD-M735 long cage - was NOS
  • Shifters : Shimano XT SL-M732 thumbies - were NOS
  • Brake levers : Shimano XT BL-M732 2.5 finger - were NOS
  • Cantilevers : Shimano XT BR-M734 - were NOS
  • chain device : Shimano XT Shark Fin - was NOS

• Front light : Cateye Halogen HL-500BS - was NOS
  • Rear light : Cateye TL-LD260BS - was NOS
  • Computer : Cateye Mity3

• Cassette : modern HG50 7-speed : 12-28
  • Chain : modern HG50
  • Pedals : no idea, had these for years. Alloy body, serviceable bearings, they're good really.
    -> EDIT in 2021 : thanks to Covid lockdown boredom, I have now identified them as Union SP-811 pedals.
  • Handlebar : Uno 560mm
  • Seat Post : generic alloy 350 x 26.0mm
  • Seat : Selle Italia Flite 1990
  • Wheels : for now some generic hubs with Rigida ZAC2000 36h rims. I did source some NOS M730-732 hubs in 32h and 135mm, so I should be able to rebuild my old wheels (on Ambrosio CC-22 Competitione rims) soon. I like the look of these rims tho and may keep using them until they're worn (which shouldn't be too long, I ride it about 4K miles per year so this is no garage queen).
  • Tires : Schwalbe City Jet 26 x 1.95 blackwall.

I bought the bike for £35 a little over 4 years ago. Not sure how much I put into it right now, don't care either.

The headlight gave me a bit of a scare.

I have one of those Cateye headlights in the drawer. With a fresh set of cells, you should just about be able to make out your front tyre. :p

Back