One of a kind (?): '90s steel Bioracer

Double-E F

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi,

I came across this steel frame recently and even though I wasn't able to find much info about it, I liked its shiny looks.
Thinking it could be a nice side project to spend some time on while waiting for some parts for my FRO to arrive, I bought it..

p5pb14331655.jpg

p5pb14331649.jpg

p5pb14331654.jpg

It's steel (Mannesmann SyTu 87:cool: and came with a pair of Nishiki CrMo LiTech forks in yellow (that unfortunately doesn't exactly match the yellow of the frame..)
The frame is in great condition and weighs in at a solid 2350 grams (including the seat tube reducer and the remains of the headset), probably mainly due to the huge coat of paint :LOL:

p5pb14331662.jpg

p5pb14331657.jpg

p5pb14331660.jpg

Some nice shapes 'n curves :cool:!

p5pb14331659.jpg

p5pb14331656.jpg

Let's see how this one is going to turn out..

:D

Re:

First of all, sorry for the crappy pic :LOL: , but here's a first impression after some initial build efforts last night..

p5pb14371156.jpg

Mag21's, black Syncros and vgc Flite. Not sure yet about whether to go for the more bulky IRC Mythos/Piranha combo, or for a set of skinny Panaracers.

Still want to exchange the headset; in the meantime I'll be on the lookout for an Italian thread BB (~113-115mm axle) to accomodate the cranks.

To be continued!

Re: '90s steel Bioracer

Looks really nice Eef :cool: Must say I know nothing about it though!

Re:

Some progress on the build: almost ready for the first ride :), weather forecast is looking great for the weekend :cool:!

p5pb14579195.jpg

p5pb14579200.jpg

p5pb14579196.jpg

I'm still open to any information/pictures from other Bioracer MTB owners out there; the owner of the bike shop whose sticker is on the frame wasn't able to tell me anything and the people at Bioracer haven't responded to my email at all..

Enjoy your evening!

Looking at the pics above reminds me to go look for the crank caps: should have those somewhere.. :)

Frame: Bioracer BIKER Mannesmann SyTu 878 tubing

Fork: Rock Shox Mag 21

Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet (sotto voce)
Stem: Syncros Cattlehead
Handlebar: No name black bars
Grips: LizardSkins
Barends: Onza

Brakes: Shimano Deore XT BR-m734 (black)
Brake Pads: Shimano Deore XT
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore XT ST-m091

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT ST-m091 (push-push)
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT FD-m735
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT FD-m735
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano HG
Chain: Shimano IG
Cranks: Shimano Deore XT FC-m730 (with original crank caps)
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: FSA 46/36 / Shimano 24
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-un55 (ITA)
Pedals: Shimano Deore XT PD-m737

Hub Skewers: Ringlé holey Ti
Rims: Mavic 117 SUP
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT HB-m737/738 (rear/front)
Nipples: Yes
Spokes: Yes
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke Lite Comp
Tubes: Yes

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: Syncros HardCore (3rd gen) 27.2 x 400 mm

Re:

Always nice to see something I've not seen before.

Great looking bike, love the paint.

al.

Hello, nice bike. I have a Bioracer road frameset and did a little research into the brand when I got it. Bioracer were the pioneers of computer-supported custom geometry so you will have a custom frame for sure.

I've never seen another Bioracer MTB frame.

Bioracer also built high quality race frames and there is a website which explains their link to Stephen Roche bikes.

I like mine a lot and was lucky to find a frameset that is as oddly shaped as I am (the frame is 60cm c-t and 54cm c-c)! It rides really well and is made of light Columbus Nemo, weighing 1580g for the frame alone. Just had it repainted and re-decaled, will post pictures.

(Bioracer now only do clothing and don't seem to respond to questions about frames).

Re:

Thanks for the comments guys :)!

Took it out for a spin on the trails around my home town today; what a joy to ride!

p5pb14615798.jpg

p5pb14615799.jpg

p5pb14615802.jpg

p5pb14615801.jpg

p5pb14615806.jpg

I really like the skinny rear and chain stays and the way the latter are connected to the BB shell :cool:.
On the one hand it is a pity indeed that so little information on Bioracer mountainbike frames seems availabe, but on the other this makes it even more 'rare' and special ;)..

Happy Easter!

Re:

Loving that, Eef!

Like others have said, not seen one of these before. New tubing to me as well! You've built it up really nicely, mate.

Happy riding!

I knew they did clothing, I have a couple of their jerseys, but never knew about their frames. Belgian, I think?

Mike

Back