1993 Kona Kilauea

Splatter Paint":1o87l5pd said:
A splatter one will feel like a donkey after riding yours!

:LOL: ah, the good ol days, do they still have donkey rides on beaches?, think they got banned for cruelty or something :roll:

vertical":1o87l5pd said:
Looks like it came with some very nice components on it and could be build up into something special. What size frame is it - looks 18"?

Size is 18" which fits me perfect, on newer Kona's i think a 17" would fit me as all the 18's i have and have had, just feel slightly too big.

tintin40":1o87l5pd said:
Very nice find. I'd keep and ride

I am leaning more towards just riding it and soon as i have a spare day and some air for the tyres im out :D

A good buy and a great back-story too - signing in for updates :)

minor_LEGEND":2grkffnc said:
Nice one! Glad it's ended up on here, I almost was tempted to try & win it myself, (common sense prevailed).

Si_33":2grkffnc said:
A good buy and a great back-story too - signing in for updates :)

Cheers guys, and "common" is one of the many senses that are fading with age :LOL: :facepalm:

Mark

:LOL: Turns out i wasnt riding a Raleigh after all ! It was an Alpinestars, memorys not what it used to be :LOL: 🤦 :shock:

Anyway, a couple of pictures from a quick ride before i start to strip it down for a clean and refresh. I say a quick ride as i wasnt far into it when the bars started spinning round in the stem 🤦 no tools either, apart from the one riding it :) P1010010 (Medium).JPG P1010011 (Medium).JPG P1010004 (Medium).JPG P1010014 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
That's a cracking looking bike!

I'd probs change the saddle if it were mine, but otherwise it's perfect!

Aye, nice one and good to see it out in the mud. Had it been a size bigger I'd have been bidding. Not sure I'd be doing much to that other than strip, clean, lube and ride. Enjoy.

BoyBurning":1bgr9yim said:
That's a cracking looking bike!

I'd probs change the saddle if it were mine, but otherwise it's perfect!

Thanks. Not keen on the saddle either, also the grips need to go. Not really much else to fault. Maybe the wheels, but they came with the lx hubs but might still put some xt on.

jonthefish":1bgr9yim said:
Aye, nice one and good to see it out in the mud. Had it been a size bigger I'd have been bidding. Not sure I'd be doing much to that other than strip, clean, lube and ride. Enjoy.

Yes was very gloopy mud today, unfortunatly the bars came loose so didnt get to go far. I bought it too ride so as soon as its stripped cleaned and back together it be in use :)

Saddle looks a bit 'nose up'. Might be worth tweaking it a bit to see if you can make it comfy. Some folk really like those but never tried one myself.

Back