mk one

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Back in 1993 i was riding a raleigh, i just used it for longer casual rides around the local woods. I rode bmx's when i wanted to go jumping and more aggresive/fun type riding.

Anyway, one day my friend rode up to me on his new bike, it looked kind of strange from what i can remember, almost too small for the wheels, a bit like 29r's look nowadays. I obviously had a go anyway and discovered it was a cross between my raleigh and one of my bmx's. Wow, i could now go on longer rides up the woods and jump and have fun, all on the one bike!

After a few months of constant naggin to sell me the bike, he finally did, and my life and view to mountainbikes had changed forever. Ever since then i have judged all bikes by this, meaning the fit and feel of the frame. I have come close to finding other bikes that match but nothing has surpased it, including all my Ti frames and steel frames i have owned over the years.

To most it is nothing special, but to me, it is what a bike should be!

Many of you would have seen this, as i did, on ebay. I knew i had to have it and after being in contact with the seller and persuading him to post, i placed a high bid. The winning bid was, in my mind, low, so i was even more pleased, and yesterday the box arrived.

Now i have seen the bike i am in two minds, wether to restore to catalogue spec or just upgrade and ride. Obviously i am going to ride first, well when i get back as i am going away today 🤦 but i will decide what to do in the coming weeks.

For now here are some pics of how the bike came.

'93 Kona Kilauea :D :cool: P1010197 (Medium).JPG P1010201 (Medium).JPG P1010195 (Medium).JPG P1010194 (Medium).JPG P1010191 (Medium).JPG P1010189 (Medium).JPG P1010188 (Medium).JPG P1010175 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Re: My first "proper" bike - Kona

A couple more... P1010186 (Medium).JPG P1010180 (Medium).JPG P1010179 (Medium).JPG P1010177 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Re: My first "proper" bike

looks like a great raw palette from which to work up a masterpiece - solid start!

Re:

I was never into Kona's BITD, but they've grown on me over time. That's going to be a cracker I reckon. :cool:

Re: My first "proper" bike

k-rod":i5lg6xcc said:
looks like a great raw palette from which to work up a masterpiece - solid start!

Yes, the bike looks fairly good condition, will know more when ive stripped it and cleaned it. Still not sure which direction to take at the moment :?

invertedv12":i5lg6xcc said:
Is that the one form Axminster? ( I bought the Cinder cone)

Yes, nearly bought that as well, even though i already have a '93 Cindercone, but had to go out so just put a high bid on this one :) You should post some pics of it would love to see it. :cool:

cherrybomb":i5lg6xcc said:
I was never into Kona's BITD, but they've grown on me over time. That's going to be a cracker I reckon. :cool:

Hi mate, i mainly bought it for the memories and ride, but now i have it im in two minds as to what i want to do with it, restore to original or just build up and ride :roll:
I seem to be buying bikes when im meant to be selling them, cant seem to resist :LOL: :facepalm:
I see the DB is coming on :cool:

Splatter Paint":i5lg6xcc said:
I had one of those, lovely it was too, great to ride - which is why it got 'Bike of the Year'!

Yes, amazing ride, got it about perfect with this year. All others just dont seem right, with there slight adjustments for suspension etc. I have never ridden an earlier version though so cant comment on those, would love an earlier splatter ;)

Mark

Picture with the "scratched " seatpost up and original stem fitted. P1010207 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Re:

Looks like it came with some very nice components on it and could be build up into something special. What size frame is it - looks 18"?

Back