Winter Project: Raleigh Activator 2

RickTheUncivil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
So I was thinking, what would be fun to dabble with, something a little less ‘good’ that would raise a smile and be....... well, let’s call it a challenge.

So, when I was about 10 or 11 I got me a Raleigh Activator. The first one, front suspension only, black with blue/green flecks if I remember correctly. It was the first bike I saved for and bought myself. I was only a nipper so it had to be the 24” wheel jobbie too. Was a fine bike for a lad, clipped on a set of ever ready lamps, think I even put a kickstand on it. The forks were a bit of a novelty back then (the only other guy we knew with bouncy forks was the spoilt tit down the road with a proflex, a few years older than us). It served me well. Eventually I grew out of it, snapped the forks doing an ambitions drop off, and stripped it down for practice/fun (as you do when you are a destructive teen) and learned a lot in the process. Interestingly we eventually used the frame to pull out some tree trunks, wrapped one end of the frame over the trunk and hooked the winch onto the other end. worked a treat but killed the frame.

I read up a few threads on here where people have discussed the various merits (or otherwise) of these bikes. I was glad to see others of a similar state of mind! Not sure I will be draping XTR all over mine though.

Anyway, one came up locally on ebay for pocket change, it looked in good order, so I thought hey, why not. I picked it up earlier this week from a chap clearing a deceased relatives garage, slung it in the boot and it’s now sitting in the bike shed at work to fettle with at lunchtimes.

First impressions: forks don’t move, rear shock doesn’t move, rear brake feels weak, and rear gears don’t shift. And yes, it’s heavy. Oh, and they had installed the barends the wrong way around. But it is in excellent nick, obviously this has been garage stored and not used much. There are a few scratches to the NDS seatstays, and some scuffs to the pedals. Other than a few slightly rusty bolt heads – and only slightly – it looks as good as you could hope for. The kit is basic shimano SIS as you would expect, 18 speed, but I see alloy rims, Sachs stamped on the hubs… not all bog basic cheap-as-you-can-find. This appears to be a great example of a 20+ year old British classic. Piccies are coming shortly.

So, jobs to do…

This thing doesn’t even need a clean, it’s that tidy, but a once over will no doubt be beneficial. Might go so far as to grease the bearings too but I don’t think they need it. Not tackled a non-cartidge BB for many years so might leave that be for now!

Squirted some WD down the forks, I now have some movement so let’s see how that goes with some further treatment. Perhaps treat them to a strip down if I feel brave.

Looks like the right/rear shifter is goosed. Mech itself moves fine, cable moves smoothly, but there is no up click so its stuck in the smallest sprocket. Fingers crossed it might just need a clean up or maybe a bit of a fiddle. But worst case a 6 speed shifter set might be needed.

Rear shock feels solid. It looks to be a couple of blocks of elastomer or similar that have aged to something like granite. Any ideas on recovering / replacing these?
Remove kickstand – it gets in the way!

And now for the really daft bit…. I’m wondering if this would be too much of a challenge for Mayhem this summer. If I can get the bits working and get used to riding it around a bit, it would certainly give us something to laugh at! On my old activator I did hundreds of miles around roads, tracks, paths and trails so I know a 14 year old me could do it. The question is, can a 35 year old me do it on a 25 year old bike?

Re:

That's a hilarious story, but it begs the question: which is worse, a boat anchor, or a stump puller (no relation to a StumpJumper) ... ?

:p

Re:

Some photos as I found it.

Attachments

• tmp_10243-ra31169318116.jpg
    tmp_10243-ra31169318116.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 1,003
  • tmp_10243-ra41230565434.jpg
    tmp_10243-ra41230565434.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 1,003
  • tmp_10243-ra52016555067.jpg
    tmp_10243-ra52016555067.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,002
  • tmp_10243-ra2-1650796156.jpg
    tmp_10243-ra2-1650796156.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,002
  • tmp_10243-ra1708609125.jpg
    tmp_10243-ra1708609125.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 1,003
Re:

I'd love to see that in action at Mayhem. If you ride it I promise to bring my retro Montague folding mtb which is equally daft looking just less bouncy :LOL:

All good entertaining stuff! :cool:
Let me know if you need some basic Shimano 6 speed shifters - happy to post them if you make a small donation to Macmillan cancer care.

...Unless you are going the XT route... :facepalm:

hamster":3qczyv9d said:
Let me know if you need some basic Shimano 6 speed shifters - happy to post them if you make a small donation to Macmillan cancer care.

Thanks for the offer, I'll get back to you on that one!

GENERALIZED STUMPPULLER
Classic , consider that stolen , brilliant

Mike

hamster":3b2l4ha9 said:

Yep, RH shifter is goosed. I'm going to oull apart properly and see if I can bodge it back, but some 3x6 shifters, preferably underbar thumb / rapidfire stlye would be good!

I have some but currently fitted to the boys bike, probably rude to rip that apart for spares. Or I could upgrade his....

Re:

RickTheUncivil":24zjqcxm said:
So I was thinking, what would be fun to dabble with, something a little less ‘good’ that would raise a smile and be....... well, let’s call it a challenge.

Being that wee bit older than you, That’s exactly why I went for a Kirk ^^

RickTheUncivil":24zjqcxm said:
And now for the really daft bit…. I’m wondering if this would be too much of a challenge for Mayhem this summer. If I can get the bits working and get used to riding it around a bit, it would certainly give us something to laugh at! On my old activator I did hundreds of miles around roads, tracks, paths and trails so I know a 14 year old me could do it. The question is, can a 35 year old me do it on a 25 year old bike?

velomaniac":24zjqcxm said:
I'd love to see that in action at Mayhem. If you ride it I promise to bring my retro Montague folding mtb which is equally daft looking just less bouncy :LOL:

with an offer like that Rick ^^ ....it would be classed as darn right rude not to bring it, besides I’m bringing the Kirk so the you’d be in good company

Back