1992 Diamond Back Response- FINISHED (Pix on Page 4)

Re:

I actually could put a pair of new Re-Release Smokes together.

Would leave me with a pair of Darts though. :roll: Oh well. :D

I've got a very nice single Dart Magic I'd happily swap for an amber wall Smoke. :cool:

I have now sourced an XC100, in what looks to be a very tidy condition and (fingers crossed) ishaw may have a set of the correct 986 brakes.

Not sure what levers it would have had- LX, SS5s or SS7s? I have a set of NOS SS5s- so it would be nice if they were correct. :D

Re: 1992 Diamond Back Response

Now you've jogged my memory on the dia-compes, I'm pretty certain it was the SS-5's.

Re:

OK. A bit of a mini update:

The required cantilever brakes are Dia-Compe X-1s, which are essentially 986s branded to match the Suntour X1 groupset. I have managed to source two NOS pairs which are winging their way from Germany as I write this. :cool:

As I said in a previous post; I have a pair of SS5 levers but I have a feeling it should have matching X-1s. I know where there are a pair, just need to decide if I'm going to go for them?

I have now removed the Cane Creek headset cups and fitted a correct TIoga Avenger. I have also sorted the front mech issue I had. A new 28.6mm band sourced form the USA allowed the previously 34.9mm NOS DX 651 to fit perfectly.

IMG_4180.jpg

I'm now waiting for a load of other parts to land at work to move to the next stage; much of it will be attached to a DBR Apex frame. :roll:

I do still need to establish what size seat post & seat post clamp I need, so if anyone knows???? :D

It sounds like your'e going all-out with this.

I found one of these Responses on US ebay last night I think, got excited I could confirm it had SS-5's, but when zoomed in on the pics the bike was specced with full XT with rapidfire+.
Huge framesize if you find it.

[edit] Polish seller it would seem.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-DIAMO ... Sw44BYQSkY

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

My first MTB was one of these, but the hot yellow alternative colour scheme. Mine had Exage hubs as stock, not LX (luck of the draw I guess).

I've not seen another one in the flesh since I sold mine in '95, and the only photos I have are old black and white ones.

I love what you're doing here.

And, the levers were x-1s not ss-5s.

Attachments

• response02.jpg
    response02.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 598

minor_LEGEND":3mhh8mfy said:
It sounds like your'e going all-out with this.

I found one of these Responses on US ebay last night I think, got excited I could confirm it had SS-5's, but when zoomed in on the pics the bike was specced with full XT with rapidfire+.
Huge framesize if you find it.

[edit] Polish seller it would seem.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-DIAMO ... Sw44BYQSkY

Yeah, I saw that one. Unfortunately the Comp had a completely different spec (That looks pretty much un-mollested except for the bars). Even the forks are XC200s not XC100s.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

BG":2ct3397d said:
My first MTB was one of these, but the hot yellow alternative colour scheme. Mine had Exage hubs as stock, not LX (luck of the draw I guess).

I've not seen another one in the flesh since I sold mine in '95, and the only photos I have are old black and white ones.

I love what you're doing here.

And, the levers were x-1s not ss-5s.

That's a cool photograph. :cool:

Interesting info on the hubs. I don't feel so bad about steeling the DX rubbed wheels for it now. And excellent info on the brake levers too- fantastic.

The seatpost size should be 26.8 - I have a 1991 Apex & Ascent, and they both have the True Temper AVR tubing, have a 28.6 clamp band, and both take the 26.8 seatpost.

millsm":e173idra said:
The seatpost size should be 26.8 - I have a 1991 Apex & Ascent, and they both have the True Temper AVR tubing, have a 28.6 clamp band, and both take the 26.8 seatpost.

Thanks for that. I've measured the top of the seat tube & although the mech clamp is a 28.6 the seat post binder will need to be a 29.8.

Just needed to know the seatpost size.

Back