Kona Explosif 1997 - "look, a golden bike!"

That's going to be friggin' awesome when it's built up. Any idea on the spec yet? Are you going to get any work done on the paint?

1997 Explosif in Blue has turned up in the Retro Mountainbile Club page on Facebook - guy thinks it's an 853 frame... Thought it might be right up your street....

I won't lie, it's hard to juggle the fleet :oops: but it's a problem I'm happy to have. It was great to get back on Goldie yesterday, just as the weather started to turn.

Since I've been on the team version for most of this season, I was pleasantly surprised to notice that this one shares the same agile characteristics. No big surprise there. All the XT gear runs as good as I remember; not quite as buttery smooth as XTR but it performs well and it's totally reliable. The re-issue Smoke and Darts are that bit more grippy than NOS; again no surprise.

The lighter front-end is the most notable difference although it's off-set slightly by the heavier wheel-set. It makes cornering uphill more planted, but it's not as capable on the flat and especially so on the downhill. It's all about rebound; the Z2s are really assured and super-smooth.

So, it really depends what sort of riding you want to do to which bike you (I'd) pick. Honestly, both are brilliant but put a gun to my head and the team edition is boss.

20Vixn.jpg

B9rZS1.jpg

Re:

BST = good times :D

Coming back to Goldie today after a season on the team Explosif, it was like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers, or your favourite pair of jeans. You know exactly how it's going to feel and it feels damn good. The lighter front end off-sets the slightly heavier rolling sensation but fundamentally it's a super bike and a pleasure to ride.

OzXdoR.jpg

Re:

Good to hear that you enjoyed a ride on Goldie again. I do know exactly what you mean regarding coming back to a bike that you are comfortable with and cherish.

That is a great picture Al, with the bike well place against that erection.... oo-er ;)

Pip

Re:

First off-road ride of the season. This bike is super-dependable. I just pumped up the tyres and away we went. I have another set of wheels to fit but for now, she's all good.

u0IJuo.jpg

Re: 1997 Kona explosif

Hey just curious what makes the 97 the pinnacle of Explosifs’s
Is it the tube set I have a 95 which is Columbus Max
97 is Reynolds?

Back