1994 Kona Explosif - my latest find

magas":1b81gsgb said:

The 94 Tange Explosif and my 96 Columbus Explosif sitting together - both 18"

Wether the 94 weights 1.948 grams the 96 weights 1.917 grams

That's making me very excited in the trouser department! You just need a 95 and 97 to book-end the set ;-)

Really pleased you're not re-spraying; I've seen too many given ill treatment with wonky decals. Of course the next question I'll have in a few weeks will be: can you notice any difference in the ride? I'm guessing yes because of the geometry...

it took me some time to go ahead with the rebuild, but I'm getting there. Here is a pic. of the current state:

still on the to do list:

-) applying the fork decals
-) trueing to rear wheel
-) finding the correct plastic plug for the Velocity stem
-) replacing the Flite with a Kona Race Lite titanium saddle (which has to be sourced)

I've got one of these, owned it from new its the best steel production MTB I've ever owned/ridden its what turned me on to steel Konas. Keep a eye on the rim wear on that Mavic 230 mines Exploded on the Explosif :facepalm:
magas":22ry6x95 said:

Re:

Only just seen this thread :facepalm:

Nice job Martin, looks fantastic! Did you manage to sort out the leaky forks?
Look forward to some photos on the trails mate :cool:
Oh, FWIW , I use a bucket with washing up liquid for cleaning. No need to hide the evidence then :LOL:

Mike

cheers guys for comments :)

- will check the rim wear on that Mavic rim - no explosion on my explosif :mrgreen:

- the Marz. are quite a pain in the a**e when it comes to get them airtight - this one is loosing air cpl. within one week
and some oil had been spilled on the floor arround the fork after some time, but I could be, that I have overfill the max.
oillevel :? Maybe I will have them get serviced, or the Mag 21 is going to be used.

- The Filte will return in its box when no longer in use ;)

some minor work had to be done, before I testride it.

small update:

found a saddle to replace the flite - a Velo Titanium saddle which I would say its the same as the Kona Race Light saddle which comes with the bike in '94.

last piece of puzzle is the rubber plug for the stem - anybody has a spare one for me :?:

Re:

long time nothing happend here :oops:

But now the finish line is close, as I found the plastic bung for the stem and more importend a Marz. XC 600 in good working order.

I shall replace the fork within the next days and than its time for a test ride and new pics.

Back