1991 Brodie Catalyst refurb

H

Retro Guru
Evening all,

My Humbrol dabbing days are done on my Brodie. He's had a good run, but the patina applied by me since 1995 is beginning to 'join' in places, so it's time for paint.

I'm sending it to Lee Cooper, who'll be taking it naked, filling in any dinks and handing it back to me in vibrant orange. At the same time, he'll be welding on a roller to my Salsa stem (guess who cut the original off circa 1995) and a chain keeper. Then he'll paint these along with some RC30 legs, apply decals (thanks Gil) and clear coat the lot.

Just the one thing; anyone got any blue bolts?

I can't wait to build this up!

Peace and love, H.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,686
Re:

Going to be sweet mate... is the new colour an original Brodie one?

al.

Re:

Custom ordered Brodies could be painted in any color or color combo a new owner/buyer asked for ... if they could afford it.

Re: Re:

k-rod":q23y3a9b said:
Custom ordered Brodies could be painted in any color or color combo a new owner/buyer asked for ... if they could afford it.

I never got that option with my Carrera's... bloody bike snobs and rich boys.

al.

Re:

I recommend a frame refurb, should you ever you want to ease the pain of January. It's done and I'm stoked! I kept Paul ever so white, as I couldn't trump tradition in the end. Powder coating is an art, especially so when you go for white, as any imperfection will show up like a sore thumb. People; Lee Cooper has done a tremendous job.

Firstly, the Salsa stem is now resplendent with new roller and cable stop ; and white finish as are the Pace RC30 legs. Secondly, the frame received the same prep and powder coat with the inclusion of a chain peg on the seat stay.

Time for a build and decals me thinks (thanks Gil)!

Peace and love, H

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,492
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,492
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,492
Re:

Not to sound like a jerk... but was there an option of the noodle cable guide vs the cable stop behind the seat? Just curious!

Re: Re:

Chickenball":3gwmxsa1 said:
Not to sound like a jerk... but was there an option of the noodle cable guide vs the cable stop behind the seat? Just curious!

This one's had a bit of a refurb previously where the cable stop was added (also note the lugwork on the headtube). I'm sure H can post a link to the thread where it's discussed.

Looking forward to seeing your build progress mate

Re:

Yep, Paul was under the knife in the early '90's. Seb Rogers the previous and original owner to me was worried that the head tube might spread (quite common back in the day) and wasn't keen on noodle rear canti rooting. For this reason he asked Chas Roberts to short it, the fruits of which I lay before you. I checked with Paul Brodie about its origin, to which he confirmed it as 1990 Catalyst. BTW he liked the lug, but wasn't keen on the canti bridge.

Lee Cooper was surprised when I told him the year of manufacture, as the frame beyond surface blemishes was in good order. I must admit I did have my fingers crossed when he shot blasted it - brown lace anyone?

Peace and love, H

Back