Tim Gould's '93 Newnham Schwinn (homage) FINISHED

Re: Tim Gould Schwinn homage build

:) mine is 19 inches dead, from bb axle to the end of the seat tube so no room for error
Anyway, I was curious about the weight but done on an accurate scale, if it has 1900 g now, with the cups on then it's great, pretty lightweight for a lugged frame, with integrated seat collar, not so skinny seatstays and rather strong dropouts.

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":wh9sozo3 said:
Just clocked the Clark Kent reference on the forks

Do you know what their involvement was ?

According to the Pro's Closet....https://theproscloset.com/1992-clark-kent-fat-bike/

Before its death, however, Clark-Kent designed a suspension fork that was licensed to Scott (later named the Unishock), as well as an inverted suspension fork back in 1993 that sported wider than standard dropouts and disc brake tabs.

Bollox64":2si4mb0x said:
Retro Spud":2si4mb0x said:
Just clocked the Clark Kent reference on the forks

Do you know what their involvement was ?

According to the Pro's Closet....https://theproscloset.com/1992-clark-kent-fat-bike/

Before its death, however, Clark-Kent designed a suspension fork that was licensed to Scott (later named the Unishock), as well as an inverted suspension fork back in 1993 that sported wider than standard dropouts and disc brake tabs.

That link is well cool, thanks for posting. :D

Mine is a 1992 PDG Series 90. Looks to be identical construction to your (slightly newer) Team. Not Waterford, no...but the (silver brazed) lugged frames were definitely hand-crafted and limited-production, just subbed out to the keirin guys at Panasonic. And the Prestige tubing is as nice as anything. Most of the Japanese frames were welded, nicely...but the brazed ones really are exceptional.

I worked for years at a fancy Schwinn shop that did a fair bit of Waterford custom sales, but I bought a PDG bike for the value. Having built both, I'd do it again in a second. It originally had XC Pro, but now wears total chaos.

Fantastic bikes. Don't hesitate to grab one.

pdg90.jpg

Re:

Wow that's ...um a bit different to say the least

Personally I think you've got a bit too much red on it,
I'm going to save a copy if this picture just to prove to folk there is someone out there with a more 3dv bike than my ARC :)

Retro Spud":5ditigex said:
Personally I think you've got a bit too much red on it...

Those are Magura hydraulic rim brakes. I've always been curious and I ran into a set at a swap, and this was the bike that they seemed best on. They just happen to be red (Tomac edition, no less). Otherwise I'd have some 3dv cantilevers of course!

Got a few parts from here and there, so a pic must be due....

IMG_4565 by Bollox2u, on Flickr

The dirty BB is the one that sat in the frame - XT I'm told as the axle is black, not silver as on an XTR.

I also have an XTR headset on it's way fron Poland.

...and that's an XT shifter-pod on the RH brake/shifter unit, so if anyone has a spare :D

Got a carbon legged set you're willing to let go? :)

mattbrown":2b76fq5g said:
Bollox64":2b76fq5g said:
Thanks a huge amount Shawn! If you wish to donate that mag, just PM me :D

Now I know what rims to look for...though looking at the pics I took, it looks like Tim was running the non-carbon Unishock at Newnham (more grey in Colour)

PICT0119 [1024x768] by Bollox2u, on Flickr

I recognise that photo - my old room i used to rent before I moved back to Devon - I still have all those Unishocks and more.

Back