1987 Cameron Rebuild & Wiki - A Wee Face Lift

Re:

mauricer":2yip8fzz said:
Great story and bike Jim. Is that still the 2nd generation stem on it? Think the 1st generation would look much better.

Best regards

Moritz

I think so as well. I have a couple 1" 1st gens, but all with noodle ... I have seen a few with the noodle ground off so I posted a wanted for one, but none yet. I like the look of the 2nd generation, but its really a stop over until I can find what I really need. Ditto the bar.

Here's a later version of the Cameron Fork and Bar/Stem I own from about 1989. The fork has a CNC crown skeleton that feeds into the upper legs. Its 1 1/4" and all aluminum. The steer walls are thicker and it takes a 1 1/8" bar stem combo. Some really nice work. Its so smooth it looks like carbon and Tony Beeks in Toronto painted it ... really cool stuff.

Unfortunately neither will fit the 1" Cameron I have :(

Attachments

• Stem.jpg
    Stem.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 914
  • Fork.jpg
    Fork.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 914
Re: 1987-88 Cameron Rebuild & Wiki: Unknown CDN MTB "ITS ALIVE!"

One of the most enjoyable threads I've read on here. What a great journey you're on researching Cameron and chasing parts and information for these awesome bikes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Re:

Great thread, and a beautiful bike, reminds me of the polished Americans but the welds are somehow even more eye-catching.

I visited Cyclelogic the first time I came to Canada in 1993, John (I assume - he seemed to be in charge) let me test ride an M900 equipped Merlin nad showed me his latest personal build - a sub 23lb Bontrager Race Lite with Mag SL Ti forks and carbon fibre spokes (nobody knew back then, OK), cool shop and a great friendly guy.

Re:

CTK":30mygpgj said:
Beautiful forks and stem!
CTK":30mygpgj said:
Beautiful forks and stem!

They really are. I would love to find another Cameron frame to use them.

street":30mygpgj said:
One of the most enjoyable threads I've read on here. What a great journey you're on researching Cameron and chasing parts and information for these awesome bikes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Thanks! I've really enjoyed this. I was just about to revive this thread actually with some more information I've gathered and a new update build of the bike I've been working on. Just haven't found a moment.

The short of it is ... for now - met a good friend if Harv's who had some cool stories about him, dated the bike at about 1986-7, and gave me some ideas on what it was likely spec'd with. No more rockshoxs ... I'm dropping those in favour of some pretty sought after mid 80s bits.

It remains my fav bike. Although I've got a few close seconds ;)

Re: Re:

mechagouki":k3nk5587 said:
Great thread, and a beautiful bike, reminds me of the polished Americans but the welds are somehow even more eye-catching.

I visited Cyclelogic the first time I came to Canada in 1993, John (I assume - he seemed to be in charge) let me test ride an M900 equipped Merlin nad showed me his latest personal build - a sub 23lb Bontrager Race Lite with Mag SL Ti forks and carbon fibre spokes (nobody knew back then, OK), cool shop and a great friendly guy.

That seems like John. He's still around and has quite a collection of early Mtbs :)

They always had the craziest stuff. I wonder what happened to it all. The basements and garages of Leaside and Norh Toronto my be hiding some epic gems.

Re: 1987-88 Cameron Rebuild & Wiki: Unknown CDN MTB "ITS ALIVE!"

The Cameron is getting a face lift. The RS1s are super cool and work fine, but they don't really inspire confidence ;) . I also ran into a guy riding it that knew Harv very well and gave me some insight on the year. Apparently it's a 1986-7, but likely 1987 because it has the milled cable guides Harv made in his basement. I've now heard this story thrice - sounds crazy but apparently it's true. Harv blew out the back wall of his house and kitchen floor to crane lift a some massive metal machining equipment into his basement shop at Donlands and Mortimer while his wife was on a holiday. :LOL:

From talking to him and some other folks I decided to go more period correct with stuff that Harv and Cycle Logic probably would have used.

Here's the start ...
- WTB Shifter Mounts and XT730 thumbies (they need a tidy)
- Shimano 600 levers
- WTB/Spesh Dirt Drop Bars
- XT 730 Bear Traps
- Hite Rite

I did not expect drop bars! Very much looking forward to seeing the revamp, drops on early bikes really appeals to me right now. Nice components for the job!

Re:

Apparently this frame predates Cameron's first forks so I won't be using one of those. Here's my two options ... so far.

Back