Kona Explosif 1997 team edition

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition: building & collecting

al-onestare":1i62e5ht said:
As mentioned earlier, I've been sifting through a lot of old MBI and MBUK magazines of the time and it's interesting to note the pricing difference between the 96 and 97 Explosif. RRP was circa £1499 for the 97, and £1299 for the 96.

You could argue some of that is down to components and good business practice (margin). But was the cost increase mainly down to using 100% Columbus Max? The forks were certainly over-priced compared to their effectiveness.

The Columbus Max tubing used on the 1997 Explosif frame was presumably more expensive to produce than Reynolds 853 tubing used on the 1998 Explosif. If I can once again quote Anthony with regards to the 1997 Explosif’s tubing:

The only reason it wasn't more widely used was that it was fearfully expensive, owing to the cost of biovalising the tubes

From what I have documented on record, the Columbus tubing used on the 1997 Explosif also had the Seat Tube and Stays custom drawn to Kona’s specifications.

I seem to remember reading that Reynolds 853 was not available in a custom form – although Ernie’s 1998 S&B Hot would appear to contradict this - I guess that ‘off the peg’ tubing used on the 1998 would be cheaper.

The quote from Anthony comes from this thread of Wadsy’s 1997 Explosif build, which I now own. Note that as you mentioned the effectiveness of the forks, he also makes reference to this.

Scroll down to the 2 posts towards the bottom:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66084&start=10

Pip.

One M952 medium mech later and we're finished. Well, almost. I need to apply a little adhesive to the front hub decal that's peeling slightly. It needs a little polish after all the man handling. Plus I need to add a little protector stuff on the head tube to prevent any cable rub. Oh and I'd like some decent bar-end plugs, the Yeti ones supplied are too small and don't fit properly!

The purist in me would like to have a NOS M950 XTR medium cage mech but you try finding one at the moment. The bike had to be finished this or next weekend for reasons that will be revealed in due course. Let's just say it's maiden voyage will be somewhere pretty special.

For now, I quite like the fact it was a practical solution and still looks ace: I kept the M950 body and jockey wheels as they were in good nick and swapped over the M952 cage and spring mechanism after a good degrease and clean. No drama's and best of all there was very little fettling needed to set up the shifting.

Sadly I don't have any new pictures to share as the light had gone by the time I was done and had stopped messing about outside, cycling up and down the road like a kid at Christmas...oh it is and I am ;-) Initial feedback is that the riding position is spot on: it's ever so slightly elevated but still racy. The shifting is the smoothest I've ever felt and just like Goldie, the power to drive transfer is instant. The proper ride report will come in January.

I will take some pictures later this week when I finish work and can take them during the daytime. She looks ridiculously good - I promise!

Re:

Well done Al; I am really pleased for you. I look forward to seeing some pictures of her finished.

I’m sure were are all very intrigued to hear the details of the maiden voyage that you mention :xmas-wink:

Pip.

Re: Re:

pipmeister":30p5ag11 said:
I’m sure were are all very intrigued to hear the details of the maiden voyage that you mention :xmas-wink:

Yes, very! :xmas-big-grin:

Looking forward to seeing it on the ground and running too.

Mark

Re:

Cheers fellas, all will be revealed. In the meantime I managed to get in the garage a bit today to sort out the hub decal, headtube protection and fit the new Hope bar-end plugs (they finish it off just right).

Pic's to come once we get this thing called Christmas done ;-) Big thanks to all the feedback and support!

PS: I won't lie, I wasted about 15 mins riding up and down the road 'testing' aka showing off...

Teaser - proper pictures to come - I quickly took this on Boxing Day so I could show my old man :)

1Qz5Dn.jpg

I can't stop looking at it and asking do I really own this? :shock:

Back