Claud Butler Spectre

james1985

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This arrived today. Claud Butler Spectre, fitted with some very nice Shocktech forks.

Still has the lycra saddle! It's not done much for a few years but its not bad really. The forks need a rebuild and new elastomers, but aside from that, just a case of new cables and some lube. Will put some red oxide on the bare metal bits and get out on it.

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":2n4ffd0x said:
nice pump!

Yeah, its what drew me to it. I already have a black Zefal but no brackets for it. i didnt really look at the bike itself until i actually owned it and my mate delivered it for me.

Re: I've bought another one! English theme this time.

IMG_1205_zpsx0gibbsp.jpg

NOS!

Nice looking CB. Made at the Lincolnshire factory?

mechagouki":3do4ghrx said:
NOS!

Wowzers, that's cool. Not seen that colour before.

Not sure where it was made tbh. I don't really know anything about them.

james1985":3mxieslo said:
mechagouki":3mxieslo said:
NOS!

Originally a London based marque, the name was acquired by Elswick-Falcon in the mid 1980s, lots of good steel bikes made at the factory in Brigg, Lincs (my Mum lives just down the road).

mechagouki":2boh6qn2 said:
james1985":2boh6qn2 said:
mechagouki":2boh6qn2 said:
NOS!

Originally a London based marque, the name was acquired by Elswick-Falcon in the mid 1980s, lots of good steel bikes made at the factory in Brigg, Lincs (my Mum lives just down the road).

Good to know, cheers. I must admit i wasnt expecting much for my £36 but its a nice frame, a few nice touches. Cant wait to crack on and get it ridable. Its a keeper.

I had a look at the front forks today.

1st stage of polishing complete, im quite happy with the results. They will do nicely after a final going over.

The insides, erm... not so good. I think the elastomers are deffo beyond saving.

I am still deciding which way to go with these.

Re:

Yup, those elastomer are toast (or gloop)!
Early Manitou elastomers should work (the fork is basically a close copy of the original Manitou forks), I managed to salvage a few elastomer from my Shocktech forks and supplemented them with a couple of elastomer from some Pace RC-35 forks, you need a bit of trial and error to get it right though.

Re:

Should brigg made as far as I know all the Reynolds framed bikes were handmade there and it was only when they moved to alloy that they became Far East made generic frames.
What you have there is a proper old skool craftsman made lugged steel frame made out of some fairly good tubes.

Carl.

Back