1990 Muddyfox Prestige Comp

I set about taking the BB out of the Courier Comp and the Raleigh on Saturday evening and discovered that 113 is too narrow (the non-drive crank would have hit the frame) and the Raleigh is running a spindle of about 127mm! I put the 122.5mm back in and swapped the sprockets for a brand new, never ridden set of HG41's (new from ebay a month ago) I had on the Sorcerer and put the HG70 on the that, the Sorcerer works just fine and the Prestige is also working well. I have ordered the new 24T granny for it today as well. I am sure it was Fluffychicken who told me XC Comp/Pro needed 122.5mm, but i'm not sure how the Raleigh Ended up with 127mm.

Carl

XC axle's non-md are 126.5 (md are 119) - I can't get a 122 to work (but that could be a tp fd issue)

Which is the nicer ride?

It's difficult to Gauge at the moment, the Sorcerer runs a set of Mani2's which are great for taking away the Trail shock and I have shortened the reach a bit with a 120mm stem instead of 130 odd, it rides very well but is noticeably heavier than both the Raleigh and Prestige. I need another outing on the Prestige with the Gears working to be able to start drawing conclusions. I think although not too long I may look for a 130mm stem for it as the 145mm is just a bit daft! I spent a lot of time getting the stem correct on the Raleigh too and got it so it fits me well and rides nicely so it's would be unfair to compare at the moment.

Carl.

So a bit of an update to this one.

I rode this last weekend for the Wiggle Southern Rough ride (I chose the 34 mile Epic route) and I had made a few changes since I first built it to make it a bit nicer (looks wise) and more comfortable (I plan to use it for a 170 mile 3 day ride later this year). So out went the bonkers 150mm stem to be replaced by a much lighter Zoom competition model in polished finish (to match the seatpin), out went the older XC 4 finger levers to be replaced with some NoS XC-Pro 2 finger levers. The worn out cassette was replaced with a 11-28 HG41 which are lighter than the old HG70 Deore XT cassettes. The worn out granny ring was also replaced with a Raceface 24T ring in black. I also swapped the Splashback tyres for some IRC Mythos I had as the Splashbacks are great in the wet. Overall it performed well.

Carl.

Will have to drag this one out for a ride over xmas. Hardly changed it since built, USE seapost cracked so was replaced with very rare Zoom seatpost, bars are now proper stamped MF Alloy bars and tyres are Charge Splashbacks. I seem to keep breaking rear spokes in the wheel too for some odd reason.

Carl.

Lovely bike and yes unfortunately splash backs aren't the greatest tyres in the world and are best suited for dry conditions but i do find they give a comfy ride and as for the noise on tarmac or other hard surfaces i just love it ;) :LOL: ..

I must get my old fox out when i get rid of this damn stomach bug and give it a better ride although i should really get my Raleigh sorted 1st :facepalm: ..

drcarlos":374e9gd9 said:
Will have to drag this one out for a ride over xmas. Hardly changed it since built, USE seapost cracked so was replaced with very rare Zoom seatpost, bars are now proper stamped MF Alloy bars and tyres are Charge Splashbacks. I seem to keep breaking rear spokes in the wheel too for some odd reason.

Carl.

One of the steel Zoom seatposts? I really like them, I have a silver one for my Aende and a (more recent?) black one on my RSP.

Re:

Nice looking build and not too dissimilar to my Prestige although i think i prefer your black paint to my brown!

kingoffootball":1kzxquoh said:
drcarlos":1kzxquoh said:

Carl.

One of the steel Zoom seatposts? I really like them, I have a silver one for my Aende and a (more recent?) black one on my RSP.

Yep the Silver one to match the Silver Zoom stem, I had one BITD on my Rockhopper after I bent the original in a hard landing. Cheap, light, very easy to adjust and keeps the seat in place.

Carl.

Back