New / old Cyclist Road / MTB / Touring Bike fit

grarea

Dirt Disciple
Well, I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying reading about all of these bikes.
I have learnt so much and it is great looking at bikes I used to drool over.

I have discovered however, that I can't just go willy nilly just because I like the look of a bike.
I am a bit of a funny shape (as, I suspect, many of us are) and have decided that I might aim for a bit of comfort.
I want to go for a general bike which to everyone else will look like I am touring but it will feel like i am going hell for leather :)

I have now got a lovely Saracen Tufftrax Elite.
I was looking at others but needed the shorter top tube and I think that this matches.

I have been trying to get out and ride, but boy I have pain in ten minutes that is so bad I am busting to get off.
So, I looked into why. I have compared me to 'average' as that is who bikes are made for.
I have short legs, so need a smaller frame.
Longer femur so that sets the saddle back (my knee was an inch in front of the pedal spindle).
But, (it turns out) I have short arms, so realised that when you see a bike with high bars, it isn't necessarily for a more sit up position,
it might mean short arms. So, I am working on raising the bars and shortening the stem.
I am hoping that gets rid of the pain.

The hand pain is because all of my weight (too much I think) sits on the outside bone of my wrist.
I realised that is because a) I have too much weight on my wrist and then b) I realised that I have broader shoulders and so as they come in for the bars they are angling the wrist that way.

I thought I might pick people's brains in here to maybe save me buying twenty different bars and stems.
Maybe I can narrow it down.

Anyway, so, my first question is about how everyone's hands sit on the bars.
Would you mind having a little thought about it for me please?
Are the two bones (the sticky out 'knuckle' type bones) at the base of the hand kind of parallel to the bar?
(this is about straight bars and road use)
This might sound a stupid question but I assume most of you haven't got all of your weight on that bone with it in contact with the bar?

When you are sat on the bike imagine a line from your shoulder to the bars the position of your levers should follow this line so the wrist is not bent

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

It might be worth visiting a higher end bike shop as well, as they know well the ins and out of frame ergonomics and body positioning, and can likely show you on various bikes what needs be considered to get you onto a comfortable and ride-friendly machine (not that you need to buy a bike from them, but gaining some insights from their expertise will help you in your quest ... and if you do happen to purchase something from that shop, then somuchthebetter).

:idea:

Once you've got the frame size and geometry you need, when it comes to building it up I would also factor in having a second hand position available. It's a godsend to be able to just change the position of your hands or change the reach of the handlebars when you start to feel pain. Bar ends are ideal and retro-friendly!

Re:

Sounds like it may be worth going custom. Short top tube, slack seat tube angle and an offset seat post will help put your bum and knee placement right.

As for the reach, play with a bar that as more sweep (5 degree) and revolve them till you have the maximum contact area with your palm.

Re: Re:

Woz":2ndbz3w6 said:
Sounds like it may be worth going custom. Short top tube, slack seat tube angle and an offset seat post will help put your bum and knee placement right.

As for the reach, play with a bar that as more sweep (5 degree) and revolve them till you have the maximum contact area with your palm.

That does sound delicious, but won't be happening unfortunately.

I am just toying now with turning a bar around.
I popped out and it definitely eases the pressure a bit.
I shall try a ride tomorrow.
It feels real close to my knees though which is odd.
It just feels naughty and wrong facing the bars the wrong way round.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Nothing wrong with using bars upside-down and grips do make a big difference.

On my all-purpose Karakoram Elite I use On-one Mary bars upside-down and Phorm grips designed for swept back bars:

Phorm+grip.JPG

Re:

My Mrs' early 90s Peugeot hybrid/shopper is really upright and comfortable! Its a large frame but the top tube is short and you are sat very upright with little weight on hands. Might be worth looking at some hybrids?

Back