1988 Muddy Fox Explorer.

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I wasn't going to post any photos of this just yet, but I'm so pleased with the way its turning out, I just had to share.......

DIrsCNhvDQTYA0Ob3PDNBB6I-emTgMTRzuqtysfJcbpGSEveO59hM08OopK477YXaiInSfyR1iDiVChhgtiLAfYEEB5DO1IUAHwAxLcdVoud5rcpW-iucmCD5ZJ2ouo52cFHCPOy4LnHyeSDxT88O0Pb_XpC5cElOkW73QTWQX8wx4kfnaCoHhKW-7sb76qta-vW8wz1cUaeLJ6IAxmh7MzBUg5mGg4-qpjO85SegKkE-wlf29CxG05wamRKCorPiFN57SPBUPlIG12Y7tNz-CarI75b_1HuO4HK86p2Uh4PeXdTnc3_wdUCkFaADhAgplYfCRTFqXmKbWTSGpU-B1EY5X9mW8NXTVaD-NANLZI_tN2zvm_w6TgPPDSZFyPFZX_WLxjDPaZuggQm29XUnPfRtJ6z65RWY-kW73BpejOTkrUyeM-Kv1ZrECHTkm9vhE7PX5BBjW9w5wXG3OzSJywL1BnyjXKYr5ql-h-SZiGJXAXB3rTssj7xDWq2R7xR6D4zS3_8eE0Ny3amkAzI5DlOwRQnd1lEyNvqLuftVJAVWyDzViN4CJNXjmTTdqVCoRQwJDItIPeKXFNOWBtKdJ6FnGkSxOVVgsdwI7qwF1BFgKGO=w875-h656-no

I had an Explorer just like this one new in '88. It was my first mountain bike brought with money earned working for a corn merchants.

So far it's cost me a lot of elbow grease and about £120 for the bike, some Tioga Farmer John's Nephew tyres and a Suntour XCD Chainset. :cool:

I was going to repaint it, but actually it would be a shame to as it's not that bad. Had to retouch some of the decals with a Sharpie paint pen though as they were pretty chipped.

Cables are on their way and then it's finished.

The History Man":1e064nk2 said:
I wanted one of these but bought a cheap Raleigh instead. Jealous.

I remember going into Dave Mellor's Cycles in Shrewsbury as an 18 year old with a wad of cash in my pocket. It must have been late '87 as I brought an '88 model Explorer.

They had Muddy Fox, Giant and Specialized, all lined up like sirens on the rocks, ready to lure a young lad from his cash :D

The Specialized, I think it would have been Rockhopper, was £600 so WAY out of my budget. Even £400 was a huge amount to pay for a bike back then. It was a toss up between a Giant (Not sure which model) and the Explorer. The Giant had Shimano kit on it, but the Explorer was triple butted tubing rather than double butted- so won the day.

I loved that bike. It started a love affair with mountain bikes which never went away. I wish I'd hung on to it, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

At least I have the next best thing now. :cool:

Looks awesome! And a good size too (non gate!) 'cos I'm shorty.

Brings back happy memories of riding with a good friend who had one and obviously cooler (now) as it has Suntour rather than Shimano.

Enjoy! :)

Re:

There seem to be very few of these in a decent (i.e. small) size! In fact I can't remember even seeing one in less than 21" for years!
Very nice! :cool:

Re:

Yeah, it's a 19" frame, which fits me perfectly at 5'10". I think I had a 21" back in the day because I remember it being bigger with less seatpost showing and I've not grown any since then. Odd thing is; the reach on this is about perfect, so either my arms have got shorter or I must have bene really stretched out on the original.

Re: Re:

cherrybomb":2iy4x3hu said:
Odd thing is; the reach on this is about perfect, so either my arms have got shorter or I must have bene really stretched out on the original.

I think the 21" bikes had a longer stem. My old Pathfinder has a 150mm stem and the Courier Comp was 155mm. Both 21" and too big! Still have the Pathfinder.

Re:

That looks really nice.... Very clean!

Edit: those fastback seat stays are unusual... my 86 Courier doesn't have them.

jameshurrell":1g35xagb said:
That looks really nice.... Very clean!

Edit: those fastback seat stays are unusual... my 86 Courier doesn't have them.

Hi James. We may have had this conversation before, but where in Shropshire are you based? I'm in the centre of Shrewsbury.

I think the fastback stays were quite short lived, the '87 frame didn't have them as far as I know, but did have some lugwork. The '88 frames have the fastback stays, but no lugs. Not sure about the other models in the line up, but I think the Couriers are the same.

cherrybomb":3sixjvhg said:
Hi James. We may have had this conversation before, but where in Shropshire are you based? I'm in the centre of Shrewsbury.

I think the fastback stays were quite short lived, the '87 frame didn't have them as far as I know, but did have some lugwork. The '88 frames have the fastback stays, but no lugs. Not sure about the other models in the line up, but I think the Couriers are the same.

Yes, Shrewsbury too - Abbey Foregate/Monkmoor Rd area... so not far!

Yes, I think you're right, I've not seen those fastbacks anywhere else... my Courier is lugged as well.

Back