1990 Muddy Fox Mega 500 (Seeker Mega) Frame ... Unicorn

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Unicorns, funny things. When I came to Retro Bike I was chasing a 1990 Seeker Mega in pink, but where were they all? :O I've ended up with a 1991 Sorcerer Mega which was brilliant and cool with 'modern' 'tech' Gimmicks and good build quality and fits me (20") then 2 1989 Seekers. (see pic background), I built the big one as a hack bike, but it's also great, love it. traditional build and quality too.

I found this 1990 'Mega 500' at a bike recycler on eBay a while ago but I went off the idea for many reason including it being small for me (short and low), and the quality doesn't seem quite as nice. Even pondered selling at one point.

It will need paint too ideally? what do you think?

then stickers and a Seeker Mega makeover.

Then I have few correct parts for it either.

Then I remembered I have some RockShox Mag20 with a short steerer, and getting daft ideas again...

Re:

That's cool, I'd leave the paint and stickers as is and build the rest as sympathetically as you can - mag 20s would be good or even bettter rs1's.

I hVe the brochure with this in I think MFs best year 1990.

Nice project, Mark. Good to catch up with some of your retro builds :cool:
Is that external butting on the seat tube I can see?
The colour scheme is so retro cool. If she needs a repaint I would definitely go for a straight up resto. Mag 20s would really suit :cool:

It's funny I usually give the patina answer too to other people. I think in my mind it needs to be perfectly bright and fresh but maybe not. I've built the large 1989 patina and all and it looks great, I don't think I want it to be a hack, it's already a bit too nice built. Maybe I'll try it with this then, got me thinking. I might even have bits to cobble it together. Hmm.

street":2i0mks4x said:
Nice project, Mark. Good to catch up with some of your retro builds :cool:
Is that external butting on the seat tube I can see?
The colour scheme is so retro cool. If she needs a repaint I would definitely go for a straight up resto. Mag 20s would really suit :cool:

Hiya mate, long time no see!
Hope you're well...?
Yes well spotted, I loved the modern gimmicks on these, very different to the 1989 which was a straight classic style frame with lugs and stuff, this is oversized and clean compared, the 91 went a step fuher with ovalised and square ended tubes and all kinds.

Powder coat or patina?

Re:

Great colour. :cool:

I always wanted the Aluminium from the '89 catalogue that was in the pink.

I've never been a huge fan of those odd little decals on the top tube of the early 90's bikes though. It makes me think a mad five year old has attacked it with stickers. I seem to remember Saracen did a similar thing too around that time (but I might be wrong).

I had a similar dilemma regarding paint with the Explorer I'm just in the process of finishing. I was going to repaint it, but actually once it was cleaned up (man there was old greasy crap welded to it!) it wasn't bad at all, so I decided to leave it.

It's your bike though, so your decision. :cool:

Re: Re:

cherrybomb":31etahqg said:
Great colour. :cool:

I always wanted the Aluminium from the '89 catalogue that was in the pink.

I've never been a huge fan of those odd little decals on the top tube of the early 90's bikes though. It makes me think a mad five year old has attacked it with stickers. I seem to remember Saracen did a similar thing too around that time (but I might be wrong).

I had a similar dilemma regarding paint with the Explorer I'm just in the process of finishing. I was going to repaint it, but actually once it was cleaned up (man there was old greasy crap welded to it!) it wasn't bad at all, so I decided to leave it.

It's your bike though, so your decision. :cool:

That's right the Alu is the same colour.
Haha, there is that, I like the little decals, part of the charm in this case. I love these were so bright and jolly and characterful in style. Though I get what you mean, cleaner without them, that'd be a great bonus to recoating and new stickers.
Looking at Mr Gumby's Big Seeker Mega It was really faded badly whereas this one isn't so faded just scraped about a bit.

Cat Scan!
img021.jpg

Oops Just splashed out on a NOS Deore LX crankset for my Sorcerer, I knew getting back in to retro would be a slippery slope. This means that the 500LX crank on there can come across to this, and even that's not correct as should be 400LX.

I have mostly Deore LX to go on from memory which is a pity i quite liked the charm of 400 and 500LX and Deore LX on the original bike so will keep fluid with that spec for now. I have NOS Piano Key Deore LX shifters which I'll either put on the Sorcerer or this. hmm

Fork back ups i could borrow from other bikes they should be tapered and curved as you can see in the pic, in my memory I had originally thought they were oversized hence the wrong purple forks you can see in first pic.
I have straight blade tapered forks off a busted Nishiki Alien I'm tempted to fit...

Damnit I've got the bug again!

Back