93 Cannondale

OllieJones

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
I've had this frame for nearly 17 years, by far the longest I've owned any bike or anything really.
It was dumped at a shop I worked at in 2000 to be scrapped because it was 7 years old and tatty :shock:
As I was both poor and stingy, I couldn't let it go in the bin so went about building it to commute as it was far more appropriate than my dirt jump bike at the time.
After a few years and a few jobs I gave it to my brother as he fancied trying a bit of cycling.
Fast forward another few years and my brother is moving house and no longer has use for the thing, by this time I'm keen to have the old thing back and ride some xc on a retro set up. 5 years have passed and it was once again relegated to a commuting bike then it once again got left doing nothing.
I've collected a lot of purple bits and treated it to some paint and stickers.
The frame number says its a 93 but it's never had a model on it so a bit of a mystery.

Attachments

• Can1.jpg
    Can1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,000
  • Can2.jpg
    Can2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,000
  • Can3.jpg
    Can3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,999
  • Can4.jpg
    Can4.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,000
The finished bike, really pleased with how it turned out.

Attachments

• Can7.jpg
    Can7.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,999
  • Can6.jpg
    Can6.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,999
  • Can5.jpg
    Can5.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,999
Came u really nice.
Was probably a frame only..maybe. Mate had a...some year, i think a 90 M500 or something, it also had no designation apart from Cannondale on the top tube, he got it replaced twice, both replacements had no model at all. So, err...that tells you nothing at all.

I thought perhaps it might have been a warranty replacement.
On the plus side, I didn't have to spend a fortune getting the correct model designation graphics!

well done for adopting it
good to see it still functioning after all these years

it looks stunning now , but deserves better pictures

get on with it then

mike

I will get some better photos with proper tyres fitted when I get some daylight alone time with it. Here's a few with the slicks fitted for commuting, the colours look so cool in person. I have a permanent grin when riding this bike.

Attachments

• Can8.jpg
    Can8.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,909
  • Can9.jpg
    Can9.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,909
  • Can10.jpg
    Can10.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,909
Re:

One of my Cannondales is the same year and paint scheme as yours was. I got it over 10 years ago on Ebay and it does not have the model number on it either. Mine still has the original front forks and I think it is a M700 but I have no way of telling for sure. Mine had the same red and gold colour scheme. I have just recently had it re-powder coated. I am thinking M700 as it has the pepperoni forks and the lower spec frames don't seem to have them in that year. Its always been a bit of mystery to me what model it is. Link below to mine before repainting.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ;start=190

That does indeed look like the same bike and it does make sense that it would be above entry level as it has the Peperoni fork.
A while ago I worked out the year to 1993 by using the frame number info on Vintage Cannondale, but I worked at a few Cannondale dealers over the years and it did seem that sometimes your year X frame may have been from an earlier year and painted in the current years colour scheme.

I've mostly been using this as a commuting bike with full length mudguards since I built it but every so often I get the urge to take it for a proper ride.

I bought a pair of Manitou forks and put the knobbly tyres back on and rode my local trails.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 831
Back