1989 Shogun Prairie Breaker Pro

JonTom

Senior Retro Guru
Living in Oz you see quite a few bike brands you don't see much of back in Blighty - one of which is Shogun (or at least, I don't recall seeing them in the UK). Now, I don't know much about Shogun, other than they're Japanese and I've seen a couple online which I thought looked OK. And one of those bikes popped up on Ebay recently.

It's a 1989 Prairie Breaker Pro. I collected it at the weekend, and it's in really good low milage condition. It's had an easy life (mainly used for cruising along beach trails) and has spent the last 10 years or so gathering dust in a garage. Washing off the filth and cobwebs revealed a lovely Peacock Blue / Pale Aqua duotone paint job.

It has a Tange double-butted frame, a full Deore II groupset, Tioga Farmer John tyres (FJ on the back, FJC on the front), Tioga stem, Tioga handlebar, Sakae pedals (with Tioga branded cages), Araya RM-20 rims, and a Vetta Gel saddle.

Here it is after I removed the rack, pannier and vertically positioned bar ends, gave it a wash, and replaced the grips and crumbling saddle with an almost identical one I had at home. I'll look even better when the paint and components are polished.

Attachments

• photo[4].JPG
    photo[4].JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,519
  • photo[2].JPG
    photo[2].JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,518
  • photo[1].JPG
    photo[1].JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 1,519
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 1,519
My first MTB was a Shogun, a Trail Breaker 2 and although it only had 200GS on it the frame geometry and build looked a lot more spot on than the equivalent Trek 830 or Marin Palisades, so that's the one I got.
Upgraded with Deore DX & some Mavic rims it made a great bike. Sadly nicked.

I always fancied the 1992 Prairie Breaker in gun metal with the green fluro decals but the LBS was no longer selling Shogun by then.

Nice bike, very original and a real slice of late '80s MTB. Love it!

shogun ended up a catalog brand in the uk
they had a presence in the early 90's ,trail breaker , prairie breaker , my lbs had them in , still got a trail breaker frame in the shed
the pre-90's ones were a bit special fillet brazed US lovelyness

mike

Tag line Summat like " you gonna ride down that said Bob , hell yeah , my shogun trail breaker'll take that in its stride no bother "

Mike

Bttt , jontom that's a lovely looking bike , I could find room for that no worries

Mike

Back