Kona Explosif 1997 team edition

Re:

Little update, see if you can spot the progress made ;)

jivDj2.jpg

uu1KAF.jpg

May I say...PHWOAAAAR!

I've hit a bit of a block. I'm trying to find the non-integrated brake XTR M950 shifters (SL-M950's). Our good friend granniegear has some at a ludicrous price so I'll carry on digging away. If you happen to have some hidden away then please let me know. It's the final piece of the building puzzle :D

Re: Re:

al-onestare":2v3yobke said:

Er, the dwarf Rhododendron in the tall pot behind is a little greener - did you feed it? :LOL:

Seriously though, may I join you in saying...PHWOAAAAR!

al-onestare":2v3yobke said:
I've hit a bit of a block. I'm trying to find the non-integrated brake XTR M950 shifters (SL-M950's). Our good friend granniegear has some at a ludicrous price so I'll carry on digging away. If you happen to have some hidden away then please let me know. It's the final piece of the building puzzle :D

Yeah I saw the pair on granniegear.... so obviously understood that you didn't need telling about those!

The offer in the PM is still there if you really get stuck and would like to ride it before you finally get it finished to your desired spec.

Pip.

Re: Re:

pipmeister":29qma7cs said:
al-onestare":29qma7cs said:

Er, the dwarf Rhododendron in the tall pot behind is a little greener - did you feed it? :LOL:

Seriously though, may I join you in saying...PHWOAAAAR!

:LOL: Nice spot :LOL:

pipmeister":29qma7cs said:
al-onestare":29qma7cs said:

Yeah I saw the pair on granniegear.... so obviously understood that you didn't need telling about those!

The offer in the PM is still there if you really get stuck and would like to ride it before you finally get it finished to your desired spec.

Pip.

Cheers Pip. I've got a few wanted ad's out there so fingers crossed I get a bite. I thought the saddle would be the hardest to source not the shifters. I didn't realise how few and far between the non-integrated brake versions would be.

In other exciting news (no really ;) ) I've decided to go with the black cables and grips. But I can't fit those till I get those shifters...

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition: building & collecting

It is awesome! How come you didn't go for br-m950?

Dare":k35p4ac8 said:
It is awesome! How come you didn't go for br-m950?

Good question.

I've used them before, admittedly for a short period of time, and I wasn't overly impressed by them. In fact, I thought they were as good if not slightly worse than XT M739's. Looking back to the era, whilst the Arch rivals were released later, they were acknowledged as being better. I'm sure some will argue that's not the case, like any component! The fact I'm using Avid Ti levers, I thought it would be cool to pair them with Arch rivals as well. I'm looking forward to trying them in anger :D

The leads are out there for the shifters and I've had a bite. Fingers crossed it doesn't slip away.

In the meantime, here's a cracking shot of Lesley Tomlinson competing at the same event. Here you can see the custom painted Z2's, really cool :cool: I love how they colour match the straps on their shoes.

vvy7yW.jpg

al-onestare":70elhcdx said:
In the meantime, here's a cracking shot of Lesley Tomlinson competing at the same event. Here you can see the custom painted Z2's, really cool :cool: I love how they colour match the straps on their shoes.

Sorry if you have already covered this but why do some riders have the custom painted forks and some not? was it just personal choice and did they all switch to the darker green eventually?

And have you thought about using perches for the shifters, not sure if you can get them for the 950's though!?

Mark

Good question. I suspect it was a simple case of fatigue and availability. If they were running them from as early 97, by the time they were racing in 98 I doubt there'd be many left in serviceable condition. Especially since the Atom bomb version had been released. I'm no expert on which is better, the normal Z2 or the Atom bomb Z2, but clearly they were plentiful. At the end of the day it's easier to sling on a new pair of forks than messing about with seals and changing the oil.

In other news, shifters identified and purchased :D

And here's a shot of Seamus McGrath from the same event. I was reading up on him yesterday and it's a tainted story. In fact, it's not exactly rosy for Ryder either. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that at some point there would be a link to the darker side of cycling. There's a random quote on the net that he tested positive back at the 97 worlds too. Anyway, enough of that for now.

9OslV3.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seamus_McGrath

al-onestare":2l63syq2 said:
Good question. I suspect it was a simple case of fatigue and availability. If they were running them from as early 97, by the time they were racing in 98 I doubt there'd be many left in serviceable condition. Especially since the Atom bomb version had been released. I'm no expert on which is better, the normal Z2 or the Atom bomb Z2, but clearly they were plentiful. At the end of the day it's easier to sling on a new pair of forks than messing about with seals and changing the oil.

In other news, shifters identified and purchased :D

Have you thought about painting your Z2's or just going to leave them? im suprised they didnt paint them yellow to match the front of the bike!
And does this mean you are up and running now? :) looking forward, as i expect you are, to seeing it finished :)

Also, on the painted Ti frames, is there any purpose to leaving the rear dropouts and stays unpainted? or was it just asthetics!?

Mark

mkone":3qvmq5va said:
Also, on the painted Ti frames, is there any purpose to leaving the rear dropouts and stays unpainted? or was it just asthetics!?

Mark

Speaking as someone who has a painted Titanium 1997 King Kahuna with unpainted dropouts, I noticed that not all of them were done like this. Many of the Team rider's Ti Hei Heis were painted with Flame Rasta Yellow and Green in the same manner as the Columbus Steel versions.

Here is the rear end of Roland's 20" Hei Hei
roland-green%20Team_6_zpsyekopuwt.jpg

And here is one in 17" that is also painted all the way through, which may have been ridden by Lesley Tomlinson.
Hei%20Hei%20Team%2097_2_zpswgc8mbgw.jpg

Pip

Back