1988 Off-Road Toad (Updated Pics page 8)

Re: 1988 Off-Road Toad

I'm getting the forks painted and some frame touch ups, but preserving the original paint job and decals.

I am working on a wheelset. I just bought some black Bullseye hubs with 130/100mm spacing, 32 holes. I have a set of black Araya RM17 rims I can use, but am trying to decide if there was a better black rim available in the late 80s. Mavic Oxygen M6 were nice, but only available as a 36 hole rim. Sun Chinooks in dark grey were so so. Ritchey Vantage Comps were okay but again more dark grey. Mavic Paris Gao Dakar perhaps, but weren't they only offered with 36 holes? Probably impossible to find. I love Wolber AT20s, but haven't seen the dark greys in 32 hole...?

RM20's or Specialized GX26?

Oh right I had forgotten about those Specialized rims thanks Adrian! If my RM17s aren't up to snuff I will keep the GX26' in mind.

Retro_Roy:10m1r51c said:
RockiMtn:10m1r51c said:
if you want cute, go with pink with polka dots! :LOL:
Believe it or not, that is a `stock' colour combo. ;)
Guess it's not really pink, but purple.

it's the spots that make the paint job. polkadot4.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks guys, it's not lost on me what a privilege it is to work on this bike. As such, it's also a little daunting as I really want to get it right. For the wheels I have found three sets of dark grey or black rims I can use with the black Bullseye hubs. A set of Araya M17s, which are somewhat narrow. However the green decals don't really match the frame that well. A set of Ritchey Vantage Comps, and a set of Specialized BX25s. I like the BX25s visually because they are truly black, not dark grey, and the decals, though faded do not clash with the frame. I'm just wondering if anyone remembers which of these rims was considered the best?

I am still on the hunt for a second Sun Chinook rim, as I have one, and it's pretty cool, I especially like the spoke eyelets. But research tells me these were fairly inexpensive rims at the time.

Mavic AT40s perhaps???

I just worked up the nerve to finally pull the bottom bracket and headset from the frame today. I was worried that either or both would be hopelessly seized, or that rust would pour out of the frame when opened up. To my relief everything came apart as it should with little exertion or cursing, no skinned knuckles, stripped threads, chipped paint. And more importantly, no rust (well maybe a tiny little bit)!

Frame weight is just over 4 lb. 12 oz..

Unrelated but interesting; I had forgotten that the triple cable braze-ons were made by Mountain Goat Cycles.

Carrying on...

Looking really good Shamus :)

Back