1992 Orange Clockwork XC Pro RC35

clubberx

Retro Newbie
I have owned this bike from new and have always loved it, bought it from STIF in Leeds April 1992 shortly after my birthday, my dad suggested the XC Pro groupset was a good idea as he liked the grease port feature and was willing to help out over LX / DX. I added the RC35's a year or so after I bought the bike.

I have already had a word with Tim (Fork English) and are sending the forks up to him, hopefully going to get Vernon Barker to do the respray as they are not to far from me (40 minutes drive) and get some decals off Gil.

I am planning on a colour change having deliberated for a while, I very much like the grey of brocklanders023's clockwork and its close to an original colour from the period, but also like the BRG of Andy B's clockwork.

I have got it mostly stripped down and bagged up but not done the BB or Headset yet - new to this retro business but liking it alot!

Attachments

• clockwork.jpg
    clockwork.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,048
Really like the bike.. have a prestige 92 with the same colour orange purple with pace forks rc35.. I like the original colour as its rare, but if you go for a respray then the grey of brocklanders is also a very good option in my opinion...Anyway look forward to your progress with it.. will follow with great interest :)

Re:

Cor, it looks great to me so I wouldn't rush in to a respray. Rare colour and original = superb.

My old bike was a lovely old thing but to be honest the fact that it wasn't original counted against it. Think long and hard mate as you can't get it back!

Yes it would be a shame to respray especially as you mentioned your the original owner & it's a fine looking beast.. But obviously you have put some thought in this revamp, however, the consensus thus far appears that the bike looks splendid just as it is! Still very interested to see how it comes along if you go the total revamp route, will be a fantastic bike :)

Thanks for your comments, You lads have got me thinking now - to respray or not! The paint is probably in a worse state than that photo shows, the phone I took the photo with doesn't have the greatest camera. I have taken a few more to show the paintwork.

Also when I took the forks out there is a small shim off the headset cone which can be seen in the first photo, will this be ok or do I need a new headset, I am guessing the latter..

Attachments

• IMG_20161025_093548.jpg
    IMG_20161025_093548.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 961
  • IMG_20161025_093603.jpg
    IMG_20161025_093603.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 961
  • IMG_20161025_093636.jpg
    IMG_20161025_093636.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 961
  • IMG_20161025_093646.jpg
    IMG_20161025_093646.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 961
  • IMG_20161025_093615.jpg
    IMG_20161025_093615.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 961
Still really like the colour :), although well used around the chain stays, I don't mind some wear and tear (battle scars).. plus as your the only owner, and had it all these years, it would be a shame to change its appearance given its been with you all these years.. My prestige 92 is similar in wear, but given its rare colour scheme I couldn't respray it personally...But am sure plenty of people would disagree with me also..
Headset has probably seen better days, I would personally change it....

Hi - I had a similar situation with an early '89 clockwork orange/white fade. Had mine done by Bob Jackson Leeds they did the first batch of fade paint jobs for Orange I'm told.. Interesting
Stif just down the road from me too remember the boyz Paul and DT. I have two Stif supplied bikes a '92 Prestige Ritchey Logic black and a '93 Clockwork satin grey. The grey one I've just picked up turns out to be my ex next door neighbours bike FBITD - remember him buying it as a lad always liked the '93 many years on it's in need of a lot of love.
I'll try do some pics on this and unfold the story ... full circle I guess back to 1993

Re:

Great to see another original Clockwork in groovy colours. Like the sound of the grey as referenced to Brocklanders but equally, it would be good to restore the original as in your photo.

Btw, that 'E' sticker at the top of the down tube – how did you get it? I went to art college in Cardiff with the guy who set up his own little business and designed and produced those stickers and other merchandise. I used to have a few.

Attachments

• IMG_20161025_093615.jpg
    IMG_20161025_093615.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 845
Back