another saved from the furnace and reborn

longun

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
some might say why bother? but to me all bikes share a common purpose and make me smile, the fettling is most the fun at present. especially with the shite weather, dark nights and way too many life type things preventing me riding as much as i'd like.

anyway, enough waffling, heres my 1990 raleigh mirage, before and after shots. it was left at my mates garage/tuning shop and when i left my mums car there t'ther week i nneded some transport back to work......

horrible and uncomfy due to years of neglect, nowt worked and it was..........................not a great bike.........but :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

it got me to work and back home that day.........and i liked the bikes....soul :roll:

After lots of sweat and bashed knuckles etc, the stuck post was free, the bike was stripped and left on one of my stands until this weekend

xt/matrix wheels from the trek fitted, dx groupset fitted with an altus crankset and some zoom finishing kit and a flite. some bits cleaned and reused like the chain and bb and ive spend a grand total of 3.99 on it!!( bb bearings from halfords)

need to tweek the gears and brakes and possibly swap the bb axle over so its shorter on the drive side to help shifting.

i like it

before (only pic i got and its bob!)

after

nice to have a bike i wont cry about when i get it wet and muddy haha

Re:

Nice,

you do seem to have quite a soft spot for these Raleigh's don't ya buddy, tidied real nice and you really treated it nice with that DX stuff too.

I always wanted one of the white ones from the year before with exage trail :cool:

enjoy

cheers dude, had an 89 in white a few years ago, had the u brake and loved it but used it for the weeride with daisy and the horizontal top tube was a pain.....the kona was better haha

summit about raleighs i guess lol, them and pace ;)

Re:

I love seeing these, so many memories.

Due to the town being flooded at the time with Raleigh outlets, the group I used to ride with all had these bikes. The first wave included the Montage, Massif, Mirage, and Marauder. Once we'd wrecked those, we managed to scrape together enough dosh through our minimum wage jobs to get a Summit, Ravine, Apex and Peak. Recently managed to get my hands on a Apex. Good times.

Re:

I think these Raleighs have aged well. Lovely colour, understated graphics, horizontal top tube etc all good.

That's lush and look's soo much better for the revamp and that Zoom stem look's so much more in keeping on the Mirage too :cool: so seeing your little gem make's me just want to finish my Raleigh off even more so now ..

Re:

One of the bikes that got me back into cycling........

Raleigh Max Alaska

....given to me by neighbour before he bunged it into a skip =D

Back