90 Orange Prestige

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":2iagzlzy said:
Options are good. I had mostly DX kit on mine. I'm debating whether to return to the DX in a possible refurb. At the same, I have been rather admiring the SunXCD kit http://sunxcd.net/rearder/
Certainly looks like a good option to save the DX kit, especially if you're using the bike regularly. The black/darker finish modern components look cool when they are first fitted but soon look shabby, something the polished stuff doesn't suffer from to the same extent.

Re:

You're right about black components – seems to be the only colour you can get these days. And not even glossy black. Aside of fab bling anodised colours, I generally prefer high polished silver components – they look way classy and can be easily buffed up.

I'm not sure if my DX rear mech is up to the job really – last time it was fitted I had no end of transmission problems, with the chain slipping round the cassette under pedal loading. The modern XT was no nonsense to set up and has given reliable bombproof service over thousands of kilometres – just looks like it was designed by the Power Rangers or Transformers. Might give the DX one last chance or just keep it as a museum piece.

groovyblueshed":2zpwovrx said:
You're right about black components – seems to be the only colour you can get these days. And not even glossy black. Aside of fab bling anodised colours, I generally prefer high polished silver components – they look way classy and can be easily buffed up.

I'm not sure if my DX rear mech is up to the job really – last time it was fitted I had no end of transmission problems, with the chain slipping round the cassette under pedal loading. The modern XT was no nonsense to set up and has given reliable bombproof service over thousands of kilometres – just looks like it was designed by the Power Rangers or Transformers. Might give the DX one last chance or just keep it as a museum piece.
I had issues with the DX rear mech on my Dynatech Ogre not changing gear very well after, what seemed like, a fairly short period of time. It seemed to be due to a bit of play in the joints causing the indexing not to be as crisp as it once was; solved as soon as I fitted a new (LX) mech. So I'd definitely be fitting something else for day to day use and save the DX for Retro rides perhaps.

DynaCol":28sm8xai said:
groovyblueshed":28sm8xai said:

I had issues with the DX rear mech on my Dynatech Ogre not changing gear very well after, what seemed like, a fairly short period of time. It seemed to be due to a bit of play in the joints causing the indexing not to be as crisp as it once was; solved as soon as I fitted a new (LX) mech. So I'd definitely be fitting something else for day to day use and save the DX for Retro rides perhaps.

One time the whole assembly came apart on the road – somehow the bolts through the jockey/pulley had come loose. After rounding up the bits and walking home, a serious dose of threadlock had to be administered.

groovyblueshed":fwibfmbt said:
One time the whole assembly came apart on the road – somehow the bolts through the jockey/pulley had come loose. After rounding up the bits and walking home, a serious dose of threadlock had to be administered.

Wow! i've never experienced that before :shock: but tbh i've never had a DX rear mech but going by what you and Dynacol have said it would seem that the DX wasn't as well made as it should've been :( ..

Re:

I'm hoping to get this build back on track next year and to that end I think I've found a stem I'm happy with for the final build. My search for a genuine Stalk has proved fruitless so been looking for a stem that has the same look and features as a suitable replacement. I did have one but was concerned it was too long to make the bike comfortable to ride so been on the look out since. Finally found one on eBay recently and it arrived the other day. It apparently came from an early Trek but shares the details of the early stalks and with 120mm reach & little bit of rise it should fit my short arse stature nicely :LOL: .

I'm thinking that a white re-paint and, because it's not a real Stalk, a simple "Orange" decal will be the way I'll go.

Attachments

• New Stem 3.jpg
    New Stem 3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 249
  • New Stem 2.jpg
    New Stem 2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 249
  • New Stem 1.jpg
    New Stem 1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 249
Cheshire1980":2zt1jxny said:
Looks good. Am going to put a couple stalks on ebay soon if your interested.
Oooo, depends what the reach is tbh though. They all seem to be mahoosively long :LOL: .

I was planning on building the bike up with the longer stem I had just for show then fit a shorter Tioga Prestige stem I've got for riding it. If you could PM me some pics of the stems you're selling that would be good.

Yes no probs, will post pics of various stalk stems to you before i put up any for sale. Will pm you when am home in a couple of days time :)

Back