'94 GT Zaskar Aqua (all dead photobucket links)

Re:

The elastomers in the 35 are only six years old which doesnt make sense why two of them had crumbled, because the rest are okay. They would probably benefit from a firm set which i think you can still get from the states for around fifty quid but i dont think its worth it. I might improvise some day and make my own, it cant be hard seeing an elastomer is just a rubber bung with a hole drilled through the middle. Even though the pace will be retired from future trail riding im still going to keep them as i think they will still look pretty good with the slicks i have planned for commuting.

Oh and im not knocking the splashbacks, for what they are (cheap) they arent bad tyres at all. Ive had two sets and as long as you dont expect great off road capabilities or for them to last as long as a tyre twice the price theyre good value for money

Re: '94 GT Zaskar Aqua: Pace forks

6 year old elastomers and two of them had crumpled does sound shocking but when you consider where there kept over the years and changing temperatures then i suppose it's not surprising they'd crumbled but £50 for a new set ouch! even if their's not alot of call for them these days that's still blooming expensive for what they so maybe one day you will fashion a set of your own which doesn't seem that hard a task although getting rubber with decent compression and rebound properties just might be but any way i'm just glad the pace forks won't be going into permanent retirement ..

As for the splashbacks well they won't be getting any serious off road use as i doubt i'll be able to do more than light trails any way unfortunately :( but it's good to hear that their fairly decent then and being reasonably soft compound should give me a pretty comfy ride ..

Muddy paw":2v7mytmp said:
6 year old elastomers and two of them had crumpled does sound shocking but when you consider where there kept over the years and changing temperatures then i suppose it's not surprising they'd crumbled but £50 for a new set ouch! even if their's not alot of call for them these days that's still blooming expensive for what they so maybe one day you will fashion a set of your own which doesn't seem that hard a task although getting rubber with decent compression and rebound properties just might be but any way i'm just glad the pace forks won't be going into permanent retirement ..

well i found these a little cheaper http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pace-Retro-Fork ... 9MZQpkViUw but for whats basically a few pieces of cheap to produce rubber i couldnt justify it. ive done a DIY elastomer change before, not even sure what these were but i made them work and they probably cost me less than a fiver.

ive thought of experimenting using wine cork or test tube bungs etc, there must be countless possibilities for elastomer substitute

Muddy paw":2v7mytmp said:
As for the splashbacks well they won't be getting any serious off road use as i doubt i'll be able to do more than light trails any way unfortunately :( but it's good to hear that their fairly decent then and being reasonably soft compound should give me a pretty comfy ride ..
they should be fairly good for that, and they roll quite nicely too. i wouldnt use them for anything too serious because the side walls are very thin, hence why they have a short life. keeps the price and weight down though! :)

sean

Attachments

• p5pb10688062.jpg
    p5pb10688062.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 768
  • p5pb10688063.jpg
    p5pb10688063.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 768
  • p5pb10533580.jpg
    p5pb10533580.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 768
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yes tbh those on ebay don't look that impressive for the money tbh but those you did for around a fiver i have to adnit looked quite impressive for the money :cool: so i'll be really interested to see what you come up with next time ..

Well i agree that thin sidewalls are normally pretty useless for protection but thanks for your positive feedback regards them being lightweight and easy rolling as that will help the old legs get an easy going ride on the country lanes , roads and hopefully farm tracks and when i say hopefully for the last suggestion it;s because i haven't found any round my way just yet :( ..

Re:

They Will probably go into hibernation for a while, as i want to ride some trails soon and that will require a different fork. i'll set it up rigid for commuting after that, I bought a pair of skin wall schwalbe city jets because they seem to be a popular choice. I got them in 1.95" in the end because decided i don't want a tyre too skinny :)

Sean

Fair enough mate at least they'll be their to use again later and if your going to need a better fork for some different trails then will you be definitely using the bombers or have you somthing else in mind ..
I love riding bikes with rigid forks but yes their the best choice for commuting with a decent size slick and i can't comment regards slick mtb tyres as i've never used any but as you quite rightly say alot of mtber's seem to rate City Jet's quite highly so they must be pretty good and choosing a 1.95" makes perfect sense as they'll soak up alot of the bumps on the road really well plus they should be okay for a bit of canal path riding and similar ..

Re:

No I'll just keep the bombers aside for when i need them, Ive had enough of Buying parts for this bike, the build has lasted long enough but i have all the parts I need for it now. Plus ive moved into shared housing and dont have the space for all those parts :p

So the bombers are being kept for later on too ..
I can understand theirs a limit when it comes to buying parts for your bike or bikes as i'm at that stage myself but if you've got everything you need then that's good then ;) ..

Yes i fully understand about lacking storage space as i got to that point when we moved into our flat 3 years ago although i did manage to find somewhere for a shed which helped but more storage space would be nice ..

Re:

Well its spent the past few months gathering dust in my parents garage, i need to get down there really and sort through all the parts ive hoarded. (5 sets of forks for one bike would just be the beginning :LOL: )
Ive been meaning to set the zaskar up for commuting at some point, and keep it at my flat for riding about town, i dont plan on riding many trails this winter although a ride or two at ashton court might be on the cards. To be fair riding my motorbikes takes priority these days

Sean

Back