1992 Rocky Mountain equipe what to do? Sell?trade?part out?

chillibiker

Retro Guru
I wanted to share this 1992 Rocky Mountain equipe I found on my local face book bidding page. Figured it was worth it for the parts if nothing else.
When I picked it up the paint and all the bearing are in remarkable condition considering the rest of the bike showed signs of being left out side for a while.

Re:

The down side is some how the chain stay split some how. What to do now?

Maybe someone else can corroborate this, but I've seen that before, unfortunately moisture has collected in the chain stay and it's corroded from the inside out. It will obviously weaken the chain stay to some extent, it will be repairable, but I'm not a frame builder and don't know whether you could just braze a patch over it, or would have to replace the whole chain stay, which probably wouldn't be economical.

Re:

Ya I know it probably could be fixed. I bought the bike mostly for the parts since the fame is too small for me any way, it an 18". Just sad since the paint, decals and parts are in such good shape, minus the seat/seat post and stem. If I remember correctly this is a hand made in bc frame right? It's super light and has the Rocky Mountain investment cast dropouts. Just sad such a beautiful frame was neglected out side for what looks like a few years :(

Re: 1992 Rocky Mountain equipe find

Here are some better pictures from today just cleaned it up a bit and put some tires on I had laying around.

Re: 1992 Rocky Mountain equipe what to do? Sell? trade?part out?

Now what to do the frame is too small at 18" I need at least a 20". So should I sell it complete or part it out and sell it?
Any on up for a trade?
What do you guys think?
Ps it's really light weigh it as is and it's right around 25 pounds not bad.

If you got it cheap, don't need to recoup your money and have the space, I'd say strip it down, clean every part, polish it, bung on a better condition chain and keep it as a nice object. Seems a shame to split.

Well I cleaned it up a bit more. Replaced the chain, cables and housing, and cleaned and polished all the bolts and parts. I also took it out for a ride with the munchkin and even though it's a bit small it still road extremely well. The bike is really light riding and very compliant over he bumps.

Re:

I'm just leaving it for now and keeping an eye on it. I'm only using it on gravel paths so it's not like I'm doing any drops or anything that would put a ton of stress on it. Might braze it latter on

Back