1993 Raleigh Torus LX

TheEasyLife

Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
Evening.

I've added another Titanium Raleigh to the fleet. Not being content with an M-Trax 3000 (and some titanium Dyna tech and mtrax frames) I've just bought this:

The ugly front and rear Crud Catchers have been removed, the upside down bottle holder removed and the angle of the handlebars made to look less jaunty than as delivered.

The good points:

Crack free titanium frame (woo hoo!). Has gold BS sticker so was sold as a bike not a frame.

Original steel forks supplied
Original titanium bullhorn bars still fitted

Original M560 LX brakes and front mech still fitted
Original Dyna-Tech seatpost 28mm still fitted but faded

Tektro Brake rocker booster fitted(Raleigh resold these)

Mavic front rim
Comes with signed birth certificate from its maker in Raleigh. And Raleigh manual and brake and gear manuals.

The not so good points

Front suspension fork is of unknown manufacturer and quality
Rear mech looks like it has been replaced with a newer one.

Rear wheel is different to front one. Front is HB-M560, rear alivio.

Both tyres perished
Stem is at lowest setting and still a skyscraper
Black on chainset is badly worn. Looks scruffy.
Seller took the front axle out (why??) to fit it all in the box. I'm missing half the bearings on one side now so can't ride it yet till the ones on order arrive.
Pedals are not nice
rear wheel has different rim (MX) as opposed to front (Mavic)

Thoughts:

Buy a Zoom Competition stem 1 1/8 to replace skyscraper
Fit new tyres and see what the fork is like.
Await delivery of ball bearings and rebuild hub...
See how it rides

It looks much nicer now that I've got the bits off it that I don't want, crud catchers, etc.

So what does the panel think?

James

:cool: i do like the Dyna-tech Torus, but i am biased, owning one and a Raleigh Ti. Is this the one that sold on the bay recently? are you going to return it to original or just get it up and running? there is a Dyna thread on here, you could post it up on there.

Mark

Re:

Hi Mark,

Yes. This is the one that has been advertised a fair few times on eBay in the last 6 months. It sold a fortnight ago so was surprised to see it reappear as a buy it now. Sent the vendor an email enquiring and he said the person who bought it was going to pay cash and collect the next week then disappeared hence bin as he gets paid immediately. I think he just wanted it gone. Nice enough chap though.

The non original bits appear to be the saddle and rear wheel and saddle. I have a spare Flite Titanium and a spare set of M730/732 wheels. Problem solved and an upgrade too.

My plans are to just get it running with the above changes then look at upgrades or larger changes late next year as I already have 2 other restorations on the go currently and this was an absolute impulse purchase!!

The original rigid forks that came with it are standard steel ones, not U.G.L.I. Ones. Would love a pair of Titanium U.G.L.I.s for it at some point. Or X-Lite/Trimnell ones would be the cherry on the icing on the cake if they ever come up for sale..

Will post a pic on the Dynatech info thread and say hello.

Cheers

James

Re:

Glad it went to someone on here. I had bid on it a few weeks ago and then got a second chance...all odd. Decided I really didn't need another bike (already have a Torus frame :facepalm:).
Didn't realize the handlebars were ti...they look something else.
My 28mm seatpost is very tight on my Torus frame, always wondered if it was correct...yours proves it.
Nice bike.

OK. So it is all starting to come together now. I had been watching this bike for a few months as it was local pickup only and I'm a long way away and already have too many bikes... As such it kept not attracting bids. It then had postage as an option and still didn't attract bids. I then bit the bullet a fortnight ago and bid on it but that is when it sold for more than I then you bid. If you got a second chance after that sale then this confirms the vendors story..

When I saw it advertised again as a BIN for the amount I'd bid last time, I contacted the vendor and asked what happened. He said the winner promised to pick it up and pay cash that week then dissapeared and wasn't contactable. He clearly just wanted rid of it at this point hence the BIN so he was paid immediately. I then hit BIN figuring I'm covered by PayPal if it goes pear shaped/is junk. So far so good.

Nothing wrong with having more than one of the same bike. I have 3x KHS Montana Pro's from 90, 92 and 93 (93 being repainted as a 93 Montana Team). I also have the Mtrax 3000 bike, an MT4 or 5 frame (bent rear triangle so probably scrap) and a Mtrax 500 frame too. They are just variations on a theme.
My seatpost is a tight fit too. I've seen others say these are 30.0. Is yours a 93 too? Got any pics? :)

Does anyone have a link to the catalogue for these bikes or even them as frames? I've looked in the catalogue section but can't find one. Would be really nice to see.

Cheers

James

Re:

James

Yes mine is 1993 too from memory. I am building it up at the moment. waiting for a few parts to finish ot off.
Decided to do a Tomac Special. Gil did the decals (cracking job).
I have 4 bikes at the moment, 2 as frames (Torus is one) so really a space thing...trust me if the garage could be solely for bikes, I would (wife asked today when I was going to put her car back in the garage :facepalm:).
Photo as of today..hopefully in a couple of weeks it will be built.

Wow. Now that looks very nice indeed. I'm loving the blue touches. Hmm. They do look good in bare titanium don't they? Hmmmm....

We all need a larger garage or shed so we can have more bikes/toys. Definitely.

Well, I repaired my Front wheel this afternoon by fitting a full compliment of bearings then greasing the mother up. Nice and smooth now. Then in a fit of stupidity have just bought an XTR M900 rear wheel and Hope Ti front wheel with matching Mavic rims from a chap on eBay.

I think I have a problem with eBay and need to test myself to see how long I can resist purchasing something retro from it...

I'd just need a headset so I can fit the rigid fork and an original M560 rear mech to make this one 'numbers matching' for now. And tyres for my new wheels. Do'h!

James

TheEasyLife":3gfv690c said:
Wow. Now that looks very nice indeed. I'm loving the blue touches. Hmm. They do look good in bare titanium don't they? Hmmmm....

Many thanks..

TheEasyLife":3gfv690c said:
I think I have a problem with eBay and need to test myself to see how long I can resist purchasing something retro from it...

A common affliction many of us suffer from!

Well, I've Just collected the Hope and Xtr wheels as the seller was local. In gorgeous condition. The chap had an xtr m901 front mech in 34.9mm spare. My size. I had to have it as I'd also bought some m900 STI's over the weekend too. I think I'm collecting XTR for this bike :)

I've now spent more on bits (that I don't actually need) than the bike cost me and I would still need a chainset, rear mech, cassette and brakes before I'd consider swapping the groupset over. Thank goodness I'm skint..

Back