Boulder Intrepid AL (Finished!)

Re: Boulder Intrepid AL (HEAD TUBE REPAIRED)

Good to see it repaired and coming back to life. I was hoping it wouldn't go back to being stuck on a wall again when this thread came up.

Re:

Lovely work by Chris and you both. Coming together nicely after all that early pain :D

Thanks lads! I really appreciate all your support. It was a difficult decision to proceed, and has taken a while and some $$ to get to this point, but I have to say I am loving the progress, and now that I've had a chance to perch atop it seems to fit me perfectly. The proof will be in the ride of course, but so far so good. Here's a pic of where its at as of today. The build has now stalled on finding a front derailleur, but I think someone here might be lending a hand. A nicer seatpost and white saddle are also in the works. Fingers crossed...

Apologies for the crappy cell phone pics!

Wow, I finally got a real ride in with the Boulder (around the block to test the gears really didn't count), and I am truly impressed! For such an old timer, it feels so good, like a cross between a rigid bike and a modern susser, with just enough suspension to take the edge off. Climbs well, and for me it fits like a glove, which I had suspected would be the case. It was worth the wait. It was also my first ride in toe clips in over twenty years, and I have to say I enjoyed the sensation, kind od like stirrups when riding a horse, just kind of gets you in control of your ride. What can I say, the XTR is smooth and crisp, the cranks are stiff, steering was precise. I didn't expect it to feel this good, but I sure am tickled that it does.

It's a keeper!

Re:

So glad this ended as well as it has, for a time back there I thought it was destined to return to the indignity of being a wall hanged.

Looks good out on the trails, glad it exceeded your expectations as well

Wonderful job - congratulations on rescuing it and giving it a new lease of life :)

Back