1995 Kona Explosif Project 555

Moisty99

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys. This is my first retro build, so go a little easy on me.

When I first started getting into MTBing it was the mid nineties, and I always loved the look of the Kona's of that era. I could never afford one, what with being 12 years old and all and my parents weren't going to buy me one. So earlier this year I acquired a 95 Explosif frame.

So this is the result so far....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 499
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 499
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 497
Re:

I wanted to custom paint rather than trying to restore her. So I chose to base my build on another mid nineties classic... I always loved the Subaru Impreza 555 WRC car. The frame was painted in the original 555 Monte Carlo blue of the rally car, with customised decals from Gil.

Here we go...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 495
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 495
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 495
Re:

Cheers for the feedback guys, glad to see it's gone down well.

I was planning on trying to restore the paint as closely to original colour at first, but knowing I wanted a 1x8 speed set up and I wouldn't be going down the catalogue finish route. So I decided on my paint scheme. Was worried at first it might not work, but the pictures don't do the finish justice, the blue really is stunning. Thanks to the guys at Enigma bikes for the paint.

Had a little time today and with the glorious British summer weather the build continues. Fitted the bars, sorted the cockpit, got the brakes and gears all cabled up and working sweet. Only a couple of things missing now and she'll be ready for the trails again.

I'll post full spec list when she is complete.

That's enough babbling on here's some more pics...
Matt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 418
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 418
Back