1991 Saracen Tufftrax Extreme

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
1991 Saracen Tufftrax Extreme

1991-Tufftrax-Extreme_01.jpg

Added another Saracen to my collection last week thanks to Boscarn. This one is a near 100% original Tufftrax Extreme from the 1991 model year. Even the colour matched reflector brackets were included.
I'm not sure how 'extreme' it is but it is certainly in very good condition.
The paint work and decals are excellent and all the components are only a little worn. Even the Tioga Farmer John's Nephew tires are in great shape.

I don't usually like to upgrade bikes unnecessarily, but I do intend to make a few changes to this one.

I have a slightly shorter, but more crucially, perfectly colour matched original Saracen stem to fit which will make the riding position a bit more manageable. I'm also going to swap the old 'push-push' ST M-O50 STI brake/shift levers for some MT-63 Deore brake levers and MT-62 thumbshifters.
I'm also going to remove the plastic M-021 cantilever brakes and replace them with a full set of black M650 DX cantis.
Still all perfectly period correct as is my want.

Finally, the cables will be replaced as a matter of course.
This will be a rider and may well be one I use for Mountain Mayhem this year.

Here's the catalogue image...

1991-Tufftrax-Extreme_cat.jpg

I just need to sort out a bright yellow fleece, stripy pants and dodgy 'tache.

More photos to follow...

It is a shame to be changing these original parts for your prefered parts even though your not straying away from the OE to much and your replacements are going to make slight improvements to the looks and durability of the bike but i do agree with replacing that head stem 100% as feeling over stretched is never a good idea especially when it comes to comfort and feeling in control of the bike but any way i can't wait to see it in the metal at some point in the near future :) ..

Re:

Don't worry, I'll keep the original parts should I ever wish to switch things back to their original state.
The brakes are actually destined to go on my 1991 Saracen Sahara to almost complete the 200GS groupset I have blinging up that little runter.

However, as I am considering this bike for a 24 hour solo mountain bike race the 'upgrades' will be all about function followed by form. If it was all about function then I wouldn't be riding a 24 year old bike...
That said it is nice to have brakes that work properly.

Anyway, there's no way I'd trust the push push shifters and plastic brakes for Mountain Mayhem. I rode all of my last years race laps on my 1992 Saracen Traverse which was fantastic. (The 1988 Saracen Blizzard proved a bit too heavy)
The year before I rode solo on my 1993 Univega Alpina. 2012 was a 1997 Saracen Kili Comp, 2011 was the Univega and in 2010 I rode a 1992 Dyna Tech Diablo.

Every bike has been more or less completely period correct for the age of the bike even down to the tires... mostly.
I'm really keen to continue that trend.

I'll see how it rides on Sunday and go from there.

I'm well impressed with your collection of bikes and glad to see the Sahara is going to be benefiting from the brakes off the extreme ;) .

Yes i got to agree about getting your bikes and parts choices right when entering a solo 24 hour race as you've probably already learnt that from past experience and don't fancy the idea of experiencing weak equipment failing again .

You have been enjoying riding these wonderful machines by the looks of it with the exception of the Saracen blizzard being a tad to heavy by the sound of things which is pretty good going overall
i'm really impressed with what you've achieved so far and you've certainly wetted my appetite for a retro bike ;0 ..

You've really gone to town with your machines regarding being period correct and i really admire your determination to contue doing so and look forward to seeing all that you have done ;) ..

That looks really peachy, and the planned mods are in keeping too. :cool:

Be nice to see more pics once you have finished it.

Looks great. The Sahara of the same year was my first proper mountain bike. Fine to upgrade most of the components I'd suggest - as that's exactly what I did very quickly due to the supplied groupset being either poor performing or breaking.

The early STI units in particular were very poor for both performance and reliability. I ditched them for Deore thumb shifters within a couple months - and never went back. Still rankles that Shimano could have put out something so poor.

I bought my Sahara in the Dec, and by June - the entire groupset had been upgraded piece by piece.

Re:

I am very pleased that I have found a new owner for my old bike, one who appreciates the old Saracen’s. She has found a great home.
At one time, I did fit some ST M560 shifters/levers on and it did improve the gear changing. I also fitted some wide slick tyres on for a try and found little improvement over the FJNeph’s.
I remember, riding her to the local bike shop to try a modern hybrid, all very light with disc brakes, etc etc , an improvement you would expect. But alas, it was awful and was pleased to get back on the Tufftrak that seemed to ride like a Rolls Royce by comparison.

Re:

S'all right!

Yes, the main risk with 020 brake cantis are the poxy 8mm cable pinch bolt.....strip/sheer too easy. Dx have a good 10mm bolt, mans' stuff.

A bike with good paint and decals is the 'holy grail'. Components are easily replaced. Amber wall tyres have a way of upsetting the retro enthusiast too. The treads are generally ok but the walls dry and degrade even when new old stock.

Back