Scott Montana 1990 restoration project

Alex4Real

Dirt Disciple
Hello guys!

My name is Alexander, I live in Sofia, Bulgaria, but currently I reside as student in France. I am running Scott Montana 1990 restoration project.
Some history. Last summer I received almost for free one old Scott frame in very bad condition. By research over the Internet I found out that this was 1990 Montana.

2wr2iqt.jpg

Here is the same frame after the sandblasting. The aluminum seat post in the tube was different size than the original and totally stuck. After caustic soda bath it was gone.

fomalh.png

We have now the frame after zinc and powder coated. I purchased some aftermarket Scott stickers from Australia.

1zq7ple.jpg

After those initial steps, I knew that the frame is salvageable and I started purchasing the missing components and elements. I do not use our local market. Most of the components come from ebay.co.uk.

Now I have the following components:

- Front and rear Scott single wall rims with brand new 26” Schwalbe Lancruiser. The rear rim is equipped with Shimano FH-M18 cassette body
ixtqut.jpg

- Hard fork – sandblasted, zinc coated, powder coated in green. I forgot the exact RAL colour
- White Scott seat, Kalloy Uno black 26,8 seat post, I have the clamps, Jagwire cables and white housings, Shimano cantilever brakes in pristine condition, bottom bracket cable guide with bolt, front brake cantilever hanger, brand new cantilever brake pads, Shimano SL-RS40 3x8 24sp shifter set with cables, rear derailleur Shimano Alivio, Shimano Alivio brake levers BL-MC16 for cantilever brakes, Vintage Japanese Tange - Levin 1" inch BSA steel headset, Scott Pilot handlebar, stem with adapter for the Scott Pilot handlebar, Original Scott grips, Scott RC saddle bag.

Now those components I have missing:
- chain
- rear and front cassette
- front derailleur – I do not know the size front derailleur clamp
- brake bolts – 4 pcs
- chainset
- pedals
- bottom bracket
- bottle cage bolts – 4 pcs

I have to mention that my aim is not to make this Scott Montana in perfect stock condition. First of all that is not possible for me and second I do not have yet the experience required. I want to finish it with some modern components.

I need your help on the missing components – what to buy?
For me the compatibility between the components is not clear enough. If you need any information on the frame – just let me know what measures to take.

Thank you for your attention!

BR, Alex

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thank you for the comments.

Can you please tell me what modern bottom bracket will fit on that frame?

May be I must start from there.

Re:

Thank you for the answer.
In 3 weeks I go back in BG and I will check the sizes on the frame.
Than I will order the correct size Shimano UN55. Is there difference between the threads?

Re:

Both my Scotts are English thread, with a 68mm shell width. Just checked for you,

http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#shimano
You'll need a bottom bracket that's 68mm, with a 113mm axle if you use the original 500lx chainset.

The same size would apply if you chose the easier to find M563 LX chainset.

Welcome to this friendly forum ;)

Looking forward to updates :cool:

Merry Christmas too! :xmas-wink:

Mike

Attachments

• Scott Racing Team 1.jpg
    Scott Racing Team 1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,814
Re:

I have to say, they're fantastic to ride, despite their age.

Mike

Back