16" 1993 Kona Fire Mountain Father/Son Build

Fantastic, can't believe I hadn't seen this thread. Really pleased it's coming along. Appreciate you building the wheel for me. Well worth the £25 I paid for the bike. Can't wait for the finished pics

I did something similar for my daughter around a 14" Cindercone, the most difficult thing was finding short cranks to suit

Re:

Its taken a bit longer than expected to get finnished :oops: , but we got round to it yesterday afternoon. I'd sorted some bits out during the week (fitted chain, gear cable, fitted canti arms) so all that was left was to cable and set up the brakes, fit pedals and road test :D .

PA251779_zps1004323e.jpg

Fitting the pedals.

PA251781_zpsdb374428.jpg

One happy chappy :LOL: .

PA251780_zps2d8d9be7.jpg

First road test.

I'm planning on a Purbecks ride (well Sandbanks Ferry to Old Harry) on Thursday morning with Sean (his 1st ride over there) to see how he gets on with it and hills :twisted: . More pics of that ride when we've done it.

great one - love it :cool:

16" Konas are perfect for kids - I build a nice LavaDome, first for the son and when he outgrowed it, it went to the daughter. Both loved it and they impressed every time their friends with the low weight of such an "old bike" compared to the friends bikes.

Re:

Great thread.

I'm looking to do exactly the same, struggling to find a small kona though, the 14 / 16 inch frames are not easy to find.its great to see families enjoying the bike scene together.

Re:

Well we finally made it !! :D
Thursday at 7.45am at Sandbanks ferry for an early morning ride to Old Harry and back to give Sean a slight taste of what its like to ride over there. Chose this route as its not too far and fairly flat(ish) to see how he and his new steed got on.

PA301790_zps08ea5142.jpg

Off loded bikes from bike rack at Sandbanks ferry.

PA301791_zps0b874eb8.jpg

1st stop for liquid refreshment for Sean. No technical issues so far ;)

PA301794_zps1e741670.jpg

We made it !! :LOL: . Note retro cycling shoes ;)

PA301792_zps618d53ef.jpg

Our steeds for the day. Mines a 1991(?) GT Tequesta that I've built for winter training and commuting.

PA301796_zpsfe14f9d4.jpg

And back to the ferry. Was impressed with Seans determination on the slight climb to Studland Village I got him a Mars bar. This turned out to be his rocket fuel !! :shock: :oops: :LOL: . He didn't stop all the way back and was going for it in (his) top gear on the ferry road.

Found one slight issue with Seans bike...SPLIT IN REAR TYRE SIDEWALL :shock: . Was worried about weather it would last back to the ferry, but it did (even with his efforts). A couple of tweaks required most needed are more grippy pedals, while the 'dales look good (to Sean) there is a distinct lack of grip. Think I've got some DMR's somewhere :twisted: .

Re:

That's ace!
Great to see another new face on our local trails. You do know that horrible moment will arrive when he beats you up the climbs though ;)

Back