Rebuilding GT rts-1

Jan-Cor

Devout Dirtbag
Hi guys & girls,

A few days ago I have received my recently bought GT rts-1 frame from 1992 (this is the second one, i already have one GT rts-1 from 1993). I will take some pictures and post them here. I sure can use some help rebuilding it. As you can see the decals are very bad. But are these the original decals?

This is how I bought it

Foto800-QNFA3SDM.jpg

Foto800-UTC66UK4.jpg

Foto800-TGJHBKWU.jpg

You can see the difference between the two years.
I am wondering if the decals on the 1992 model are original?
This is the picture from the serial number. If I am correct, this is made in December 1992 right ?
Foto800-JFVH6CYS.jpg

Today I was doing a little bit of polishing to look for the potential of the frame.
I am really happy as this is only the first round of polishing.
Now I am still searching to get some nice parts.
I have bought a Lawwill Leader 3 fork, seatpost and stem will be black Controltech.
Shimano XTR rear derailleur already in the house, now looking for the front top pull XTR M901 with 31.8mm (someone ??)

Foto800-SYGWPXJS.jpg

Foto800-8B877NR3.jpg

Foto800-GAQK8ASQ.jpg
Foto800-N3ZS7HQN.jpg

Foto800-ZTI3Y8FC.jpg
Foto800-4SKQP7CO.jpg

Re:

Nice! The ball-burnished GTs always look spectacular. I have a '94 Avalanche AL I need to get around to restoring.

For decals, gil_m is the go-to guy. I've had Gary Fisher and Kona decals from him in the past and the standard is very very high. I'll be pestering him soon myself to ask if he has decals for the Avalanche.

Re:

Jan-Cor sounds very Dutch indeed! Maybe you can try your luck on Mountainbike.nl retro section i believe there is someone with also a RTS! Fork was shot i guess?? Steerertube still ok??

Re:

Yes, Dutch is right. I just peeked on thedutch forum but it is quite complicated. Can you put a link?

For one there's no such thing as a 92 model RTS-1. They were first introduced as 93 models. Your frame just happened to be produced in December of 92. Gotta build the frame and get it ball burnished before you can hang parts on it.

Re:

So probably I have one of the first GT rts-1 which where available for normal people like us? Hmmmmm nice, I like the thought.

Back