83 Raleigh Burner mk1 red rebuild.

trxrincon

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hey, just thought I'd put I couple of pictures of my latest project. It's an 83 mk1 red Burner, I picked up in the local paper for £45. When I picked it up it was all seized, the rear wheel didn't turn it just dragged itself along the ground, the steering had locked up and the brakes didn't move at all. I'm keeping it as a survivor rider.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 8,715
As the strip down began here are some of the horror pictures! No headset bearings left, no wonder the steering was locked, the bottom bracket had also seen better days, and the pile of rust came out the seat tube.

I replaced the tyres and tubes and put all of the rusty parts in citric acid, it works very well as a rust remover. Ive still a small amount fog work to do, I'm also looking for a survivor v bar pad in yellow should anyone have one sat in their shed please let me know. Cheers Rob

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 8,709
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 8,709
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 8,709
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 8,699
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 8,700
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 8,701
Cheers Sean dude. Here’s a picture of it totally finished. I’m keeping her survivor as too many get restored in my opinion. I totally forgot I’d uploaded this thread!

Attachments

• EA6F0C5B-A81F-4D40-B73E-0CB08F6C1E05.jpeg
    EA6F0C5B-A81F-4D40-B73E-0CB08F6C1E05.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 7,385
Re:

i agree Rob, i think it look would look better as it is. I like that an old bike has some wear and patina that shows age, a full restoration costs a bike its character.... and i see you found that pad you were after ;) Its a shame the old school bmx section of the forum doesnt get more attention, im building a bmx myself of the same era :cool:

sean

It's all bloody Facebook now though isn't it! It would be nice if the forum was more active in this section. What bmx are you building?

Re:

trxrincon":397779zx said:
It's all bloody Facebook now though isn't it! It would be nice if the forum was more active in this section. What bmx are you building?

Yep, social media is killing forums nowadays. Its odd seeing the drop in popularity after using these sites for 10 years

I do love the oldschool bmx life page on Facebook though! :cool:

Mines a 1984 yes racing triton bmx

Check it out :) viewtopic.php?f=52&t=384570&p=2848568#p2848568

Back