Specialized Fatboy Hemi Team

bignick

Old School Hero
Hi, Thought this may be of interest to some of you guys.

My brother spotted this on gumtree for £70 near Cardiff and he asked me to go have a look as I work in Cardiff but he lives up in the north east so muggins here had the job of hunting it down.

It looked really tidy in the advert but I had no idea how good this thing was going to turn out.

The bike is in awesome condition for its age with only a bit of peeling to the decals and some surface rubs/scratches that should polish out. The tyres show some wear due to the previous owner skidding on it but its totally stock apart from the seat, post and grips by the look of things. Bit of a score I reckon.

I thought it was a 24" wheel at first due to the bars but they seem to be junior bars (I'm an mtb man so maybe one of you guys can put me right?).

The plan is fit a new seat and seatpost, fit new grips and higher bars and switch the brake lever to the left.

Will keep you posted with updates.

Cheers

Nick

Attachments

• WP_20151001_18_09_33_Pro 1.jpg
    WP_20151001_18_09_33_Pro 1.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 8,836
Re:

I guess no one is too bothered but I thought I'd post some updated photos.

Its finished for now.

Kept to a budget but got some good bargains off the bay and pinkbike.

Fitted a Syncros saddle, Charge Griddle grips, new seatpost and an Avid SD7 lever.

I've t-cut the frame then waxed the frame. I used a chip stick before waxing the forks to fill the scratches.

I reckon it looks great.

Just needs a set of proper bars and the rear wheel trueing up.

Very happy with how its turned out.

Thanks

Nick

Attachments

• After.jpg
    After.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 8,760
  • After 2.jpg
    After 2.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 8,759
  • After 3.jpg
    After 3.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 8,759
Re:

Looks great, I've an earlier Fatboy Frame & Forks that i've just had re-powder coated and new decals fitted, was going to shift it on, now i may build it, decisions........decisions???? ;)

Re:

Hi, Thanks for compliments.

Just got some Salt Black bars to fit the Hemi so waiting for them to be delivered.

My brother had an Orange Fatboy when he was a kid and regretted getting rid of it so we (me and my other brother) bought him a replacement we managed to find for £50 last year which is in pretty sorry shape. It needs a lot of work - total strip down and rebuild.

So the Hemi is his second Fatboy.

I'll be up in the north east for Christmas so will hopefully make some progress on the orange one then. My brother wants to fit all black parts but I reckon if I service all the bearings and fit a more modern saddle it'll be fine.

We thought about getting it powder coated and fitting new decals (I spoke to Gil_M about making some) but he said they will be pricey. As you can see from the photo its a bit sorry for its self but original. Will be good to get this one cleaned up.

Attachments

• WP_20141125_13_21_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141125_13_21_33_Pro.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 8,713
  • WP_20141125_13_21_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141125_13_21_57_Pro.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 8,713
  • WP_20141125_13_22_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141125_13_22_33_Pro.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 8,713
  • WP_20141125_13_22_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141125_13_22_50_Pro.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 8,713
Re:

wow those are some skinny tyres :p

i miss mine, i think they are a youth race bike so they have an unusual wheel size. i bought mine as a frame only and couldnt find wheels for it, so i ran it 20" but it had to be brakeless

my hemi pro

Attachments

• p5pb5810896.jpg
    p5pb5810896.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 8,710
Re:

Yeah, they are thin - 1 1/8 off the top of my head. Very thin.

They are a good looking frame - in red it looks smart.

The decals on the Hemi are a little crusty at the edges but don't warrant a new set.

From what I found its a junior race bike which explains the tyres and bars.

I was wondering about what tyres will fit. The rear looks OK to fit wider tyres but the forks would need changing.

I'm not sure what my brother's plans are for it. His son is 3 so maybe he wants to ride BMX with him once he's a little older - I just fix them up (which I prefer and I'm a 'little' too tall for BMX.....).

Re:

Had a think and gonna pass mine on. Too many projects and it sits there. Powdercoat done by Colourcote/Lotus Cars. What do you think it is worth guys? It has cable guides still present (just removed for paint) and now has FSA headset fitted.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 8,690
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 8,690
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 8,690
Re:

Hi Guys

I next to never venture into these parts, so forgive me for asking this..

but WTF is going on with these frames, surely the lack of a continuous seatube down to the bottom Bracket can't be as strong as a double triangle (can it ?)

Re:

Bombproof frames despite crazy geometry

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 8,683
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 8,684
Re: Re:

Jussa":30bkonv6 said:
Bombproof frames despite crazy geometry
you would have thought specialized would have tensioned the chain before its studio pictures were taken :facepalm:

In respnse to your previous post its probably worth less than what you paid for the powdercoat, they dont fetch big money

Back