Volume RJ20R slow build up (Mid Skool GT inspired Modern)

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all, I've been contemplating whether to share this with you here or post1998 section? Is it OK here yeah? Anyway I hope you like... I'd hung up wanting to be a bit good at BMX years ago, and not touched my Free Agent Flying Fortress mid skool General Lee coloured beefy bike since I was commuting about 5 years ago!
Every now and then I get the taste, plus I'd quite fancied a custom retro themed bike in a big size but ££££ and bit silly really. I saw a green RJ20R for sale on pink bike and didn't buy it but got me looking at cool frames with high stand over and modern geometry, I kept coming back to Volume. After weighing up loads and loads of times I plumped for what seems to be one of the last pearl white RJ20Rs in the country. Pretty crazy. I want a good BMX before I get really old and want to dial in some skills on a tight and light bike. And also cruising on a retro BMX is its novelty use. So now I'm tasked with building it...

P2185468.jpg

Re: Volume RJ20R build up

After stripping and weighing my mucky neglected Free Agent on a routine stock check night, I couldn't get the idea of a new frame out of me head!
IMAG0644.jpg

Blimey!

PC235379.jpg

So here it is in pre Christmas budget bust glory! Eek.

There has been a lot to learn. A lot, things have changed in BMX, so specs are all different again. I wanted to work out whether I can utilise the ALEX/salt 14mm wheels, not posh not light but in stock and buttery smooth. Anyway, I'm stuck with a 14t freewheel. I guesstimated that 36t ring or sprocket was biggest I could go on a modern... Gambled with MTB jump orientated Deity ring and a BB and tested it on the profiles in the frame.
P2185471.jpg

Mid BB had to be pressed in so got my trusty cheapo headset press on it.
The Primo BB came without spacers though boo, so I need some...
Not a bad guesstimation though huh? Needs a few mm either side I think, where can I get some?
P2185475.jpg

Nice frame, but that sprocket is more like a dinner plate :facepalm: get a 25tooth and a wheel with a 9tooth driver ;)

:D did you see what came off the original frame? 44 tooth no less!! No wonder the commute was so fast!

Nah this works, it's a nod to the bikes of the 90's and not the scooters of today! :LOL: though taking advantage of modern geo and weights.

Ideally I would have liked new brighter lighter more modern wheels but making do for now.

I've collected more bits for this and almost had a mad dash to complete but missed summer for a variety of important reasons. Watch this space anyone who is interested. Winter build up... :)

Bit backwards if you ask me, light new frame then stick old heavy wheels on it. Money would have been much better on putting lighter wheels and parts on the old frame.

Hey there,

Well I'm pretty fluid and open to suggestions! :) Many of my builds start off with one bit and end up mostly new bits! I see your point, I built the original free agent cheaply 9 years ago, It surprised my how much fun it was for the commute at least, no slouch, though a bit long and high geared. FWIW thoughI'm hanging on to it for now.
I was keen to build new even though I'm not going to be a serious rider now I'm old, and nursing a broken shoulder, I loved those wheels mostly cos the hubs were buttery and fast, however the black wasn't working and they are quite low spec and probably heavy. I have got new chrome rims Alex Supra-B Pro, http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheel ... 39crx.aspx front one is built, and I need to build the rear. I have the important bits for this build now...

^ Leave that small bike nonsense and come and play bike polo - Power House Library, Moss Side every Tuesday and Thursday evening... ;-)

Back