Sunday 2nd March - The Hudson Way (Market Weighton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisv40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
hudsonway1_zps708b7afd.jpg

: Date - Sunday 2nd March

: Time - 9.30am for 10.00am start

: Difficulty - 2/5

: Distance - approx 16 miles

: Terrain - We will be following the Hudson Way which is the old trackbed of the disuded Market Weighton to Beverley railway line, it is partly surface with loose grit the rest of it is grass and mud but it is all fairly flat. We leave the line itself and will follow cycle paths and roads into the centre of the historic market town of Beverley for lunch at a very nice cafe.
The return journey will be a rerun of the outward leg.

: Directions to start location - There is a small pay and display car park on Finkle Street YO43 3JL, if this is full there is plenty of on road parking next to the car park. https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=market ... .85,,0,1.4

hudsonway2_zpscafd0b68.jpg

Further details on the Hudson Way and the old railway can be found here - http://www.wicstun.com/hudsonway.html

Please remember - No Helmet No Ride

It would have a grade of 1 in mid summer Ben but as it is now it will be very muddy in places and as you know yourself from our ride there a couple of years ago at the speed we were going it was a little rough in places so in the event that any newcomers fancy the ride I didn't want them to assume it was a gentle downhill freewheel for 15 miles.

chrisv40":2pu6eccg said:
It would have a grade of 1 in mid summer Ben but as it is now it will be very muddy in places and as you know yourself from our ride there a couple of years ago at the speed we were going it was a little rough in places so in the event that any newcomers fancy the ride I didn't want them to assume it was a gentle downhill freewheel for 15 miles.

I know it seems daft to up-rate a doodle of a ride but like a sausage on a bbq, it's better slightly over-cooked than not.(If the head chef* has already had a few beers).
For me, the logic is the mileage first, if a ride however easy, exceeds 15 miles, then I 'over cook' or if there are busy roads to cross, boggy sections, wild animals, etc..
A few times now i've thought "gosh, it's barely a 1.7" :LOL: So, i just round up. If the ride ends up easier than expected then newbies are more likely to return. :)

*some bloke.

As an aside, i read that spurn point is....not as it was, with the storms and that. Access roads in pieces at the other side on the peninsular!
my goodness.

My thinking exactly Marc.

Yes Spurn seems to be in a sorry state, that's why unfortunately our Withernsea to Spurn ride is cancelled for this year and I'm putting this on instead.
The way the weather is going its going to be a long time until any of our local trails are in any fit state to host a proper ride.
Our Wednesday night ride routes are being dictated by the weather currently, we haven't ridden our favorite summer loop since well before xmas and some weeks have abandoned riding completely and sat in the pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back