chrisv40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Withernsea to Spurn Point

Time - 9.30am for 10.00 start.

Start & Parking - The Promenade, Withernsea, HU19 2DW (Free on road parking) - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/myplaces ... 06,,0,3.11

Distance - 36 miles.

Terrain - Quiet country lanes, bridleways & a disused railway.

Difficulty - Other than the mileage this should be a nice easy social ride with a bit of history and coastal scenery thrown in.
We are riding right out onto the tip of Spurn itself which is extremely exposed to the elements even in the height of summer
so please bring appropriate clothing. We will pass through a few villages with a couple of nice cafe/tea rooms so refreshments
shouldn't be a problem but I suggest you bring some snacks just in case.
We will finish with Fish & Chips on Withernsea sea front.

spurn-shot5_zps5b73a013.jpg

The destination

Please remember no helmet no ride!

I'm up for this one. Milage is high so make sure you carb up before the ride begins hehehe

I could be up for this (work permitting), when you say bridleways and disused railway, do you mean MTB/Hybrid terrain, or can it be done on a road bike?

Depends on the tyres your road bike has, I think you would be better with semi slicks at least. It would be good to see you if you can make it.

Trebz":8kj9b0du said:
I'm up for this one. Milage is high so make sure you carb up before the ride begins hehehe

Any of the Cafe's in With open early on a Sunday? a pre ride full english could be the order of the day :)

chrisv40":32iuecrp said:
Depends on the tyres your road bike has, I think you would be better with semi slicks at least. It would be good to see you if you can make it.

Currently have 23mm Lugano's on the road bike, could swap them out to 28mm Vittoria Randonneurs though, but also have a hybrid with fat slicks (37mm) for town riding.

Which would you ride?

hybrid. route down spurn is bad enough in the summer in a car, let alone a road bike.
though not sure if slicks will work in this weather ;-)

how well do you know that area.

Geographically, very well, grew up in Patrington, went to With School, know most of the east end back roads round Easington, Skeffling, Holmpton......from a cycling point of view not so well, guessing the road from Kilnsea down to Spurn Head is a bit rough, yes?

rallying dawn saaath so cant come, would love to ride there, only been once and it was awesome!!!!

If I don't get many more takers for this I might move it back a couple of weeks. I'll make a decision nearer the weekend when we have a more accurate weather forecast too as its a pretty exposed ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back