Cropton forest routes

chrisv40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hi, been out for a drive with the family today and ended up on the Cropton forest drive.

There dont appear to be any obvious marked trails and I wondered if anyone rides up there as an alternative to Dalby?

If so can you suggest any good routes?

I used to use it as a route when going from Rosedale to Hole of Horcum. Didn't seem to be many interesting routes.
Dalby is by far the most interesting Forest for technical stuff but check out Wykeham, Langdale and Broxa. I spent years whizzing about there and unless it has been heavily logged, most of the routes should still be there.
For a good Broxa ride, start from Reasty Hill Top Car Park and head towards Barns Cliff End, you should see multiple descents on the right, they mostly go down to the River Derwent and the Moto X course. There is a crossing over to Langdale Forest and after that you should pick up a few of the routes used by the 4x4 centre - watch out for idiots in Land Rovers!

Thanks Deveron, I will have a look at Broxa and Langdale but I know there was a good route through Cropton years ago albeit with a lot of fireroad.

I know Dalby quite well and enjoy it but Cropton looked nice too especially the part overlooking the valley with the railway in it.

That's not Cropton Forest, that's Newton Dale, two very different places

If you imagine the Stape road seperating the two that's the best way to split them

Cropton Forest has it's highlights but you need to know where to look, can be very wet in places but a few nice bits of singletrack here and there but still needing chunks of forest road to connect them

Newton Dale has all sorts, again you need to know where to look and there are some wet spots but lots of excellent "locals" stuff in there, tend to be straight up or down though...

If you're over this way give me a shout and I will try and get out

As Gil said there is plenty of good stuff around there. Park at Rapers Farm and head along Killing Nab for good views to the east. Then cut back to Wardle Green and take the excellent moorland singletrack over Simon Howe and lunch at one of the pubs in Goathland. You can then take the same route back or pic up any of the other moorland routes back to Gale Rigg Forest. There are a few nice singletrack descents back down to Newton Dale from here.
This is 'Big Dirty Weekender' country and if you need an introduction to the best bits this area has to offer, just come along in August- we will have three days of riding this very spot.

Si

Thanks Gil and DRS will definately be at the BDW but might have a ride round the Goathland area before that :D

chrisv40":353ekphp said:
Thanks Gil and DRS will definately be at the BDW but might have a ride round the Goathland area before that :D

We are planning a Route Recce sometime next month. We will give you a shout.

Back