Repack 2009 33rd Anniversary ride

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
October 21 was the 33rd anniversary of The Day That Changed My Life, the first "Repack" downhill race. As is our custom, Joe Breeze and I trekked to the top for the observance, which didn't command the crowds that showed up for the 20th and 30th.

Six of us showed up to "toast" the occasion, Joe Breeze, FairfaxPat, Sideshow Bob, Brian from the LBS, Mighty Clang and myself. Of that group, I am the only one who made the seminal race, and Sideshow Bob was on only his second MTB ride.

Pat, Brian and Chris came up the macadam road, but Joe, Bob and I pushed and rode up the course, which had suffered from recent heavy rains. No matter which way you go, it's most of an hour of hard work to the 1500 feet of climbing. No old skool gear, everyone on modern bikes. Brian brought a downhiller, but everyone else was on XC equipment.

We spent about half an hour reminiscing and toasting, then shot a few photos and took a rip down the trail. Sideshow Bob is still learning about how clipless works, but he was ready to do downhill, and by following Joe he was able to make a fast ride without hitting any of the pitfalls that await first timers trying to set the course record.

Here are a few shots from the occasion.

Joe

DSCN4395.jpg

FairfaxPat plays a fl;ute in celebration of the occasion.

DSCN4396.jpg

Nice day for something

DSCN4398.jpg

Joe, Clang, FairfaxPat and RepackRider

DSCN4408.jpg

I like the way that 33 years on Denim still makes the best downhill protective gear, save me from many a gravel rash.

Looks like a grand day out, thanks for sharing.

I will make the pilgimage eventually - I've missed 2 opportunities to get there - once even stood on the Marin county line on the bridge staring at the hills. I won't be missing another no matter what it takes.

Great pics and post CK, thanks for sharing. The first video has been posted up here before but is well worth watching. Looks like Joe B is going fairly well in the vid, any idea how quick that was compared to times back in the day.

Would be good to make it over and ride it. Guess owmtbc or the 35 anni would be a good opportunity :D

Thanks for that CK, nice to see blue skies for once. I have got to take my old Schwinn up there one day. I wonder if the family fancies a holiday in 2011 when the OWMTB is on??? Time to get to work on the Mrs I think.

John said:
Great pics and post CK, thanks for sharing. The first video has been posted up here before but is well worth watching. Looks like Joe B is going fairly well in the vid, any idea how quick that was compared to times back in the day.]

The record down Repack is still held by Gary Fisher at 4'22", with Joe Breeze second at 4'24". In my video, Joe does a 5'15"-not too bad considering the woman he almost mowed down!
I had a great time on the 33rd Anniversary ride and look forward to seeing lots of you guys here in 2011!
Pat

Latest posts

Back