True Retro DH Race - gathering opinion

Would you be interested in a Retro DH Event?

• Yes - I'd be well up for that

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I'd rather not

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

boxxer

MacRetro Rider
First off this is not something definite by any manner of means, currently it is a pipe dream and may very well stay as just that.

There are some big questions to answer here before I can even begin to consider this

Is there sufficient interest to run a true Retro DH event somewhere in the UK?

Is there anybody else on the forum who would be interested in assisting?

What is the maximum amount you pay to enter?

Where would you suggest the event take place ? (bear in mind Modern DH tracks may be the end of your retro rig)

Would you prefer a 2 day event or a AM practice PM race Run?

How would you suggest Cats are split – is it bike age or competitor age?

Please let me know - daj if you are out there this is for you.

Yep!! :D

Come on people this could be a something great if possible, The idea is to find a venue that is of the early to mid 90`s style not modern at all.

As serious or as fun as you want it too be, A get together with fellow retrobikers and a quick blast down a course?

I would suggest classes along the lines of bike age or types (cantis,V`s,discs, full, hardtail etc etc .

Well up for helping and getting involved!! :cool:

Cheers

TheKen had been talking about this at Glentress, BITD the fireroads were used for downhilling.

As daj says, it would have to be a 90's style course that normal people can ride!

If this is possible, then I may be interested, as unfortunately my air-time days have almost gone :roll:

I would have thought the retro turn out to start with would be low, 20 to 40 say. so just run it as one good fun catagory to start with. Age, bike, type doesn't really matter as long as it's retro ;)

Work out awards at the end, like best face plant, most impressive write off of a retro bike, winner, best costume, that sort of thing. RetoBike meet style and RetroBike forum having some fun, not taking it all too seriously.

Are you thinking early 90's downhill fun or when DH became a more defined sort of sport sort of event (i.e. need pads and full face helmets ?)

Its already happening as part of our Big Dirty Weekender on 25/26th of this month. Over the two days riding we have 12 timed to the second downhill sections which will be run blind with no practice. These sections range from 0.2 steep and techncal to 1.2 miles of flat out moorland singletrack. All sections are retro friendly and there is a handicap system to level the performance of suss and rigid bikes. We have just hit the 30 entries mark today but more spaces left.

Best of all this event is free apart from the £7 for camping.

See the Big Dirty Weekender Thread for more details

Si

agree with fluffy

if its a race itl put most people off . do it like the ssuk and leave the few who want to take it seriously battle it out for the top few places and the rest can do as they like

I like the idea but getting a central location that everyone will come to might be the down fall.

Picking a previously raced route would be fun - I did fire road downhill races at innerliethen and glentress in the early nineties - easily doable on any rig.... as long as you stay upright.

Back