Raleigh Rally & Pentlands Meet Sunday 16th August

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
GT owners meets, Klein concentrations !

We need a Raleigh Rally :LOL:

Anyone up for that :?: :?:

Anyway some of us Scots have got old Raleigh mtb's, mainly of the not so flash models. So we thought why not get them together at a classic scots mtb venue. The Pentland hills by Edinburgh was the Glentress of its day for many central belt scots and thus seemed the obvious choice.

Any body feel free to join us with a Raleigh or other budget British steel or not.

Date 16th August Sunday, Meet Bonally Country park, Pentland Hills, 1030 for 1100 start.

Velo

I'm no longer eligible having stripped this freebie for parts and started to bin the frame :LOL:

etive002.jpg

Raleighs were made in Nottingham, anyone got suggestions for a good place to ride around in the area.

Date wise was thinking Autumn sometime as a last hurrah before winter kicks in.

Under appreciated brand which nearly every brit rider has some experience of, admittedly not all good :roll:

First two mtb's i ever rode were Raleighs, a Maverick in 85 and a Magnum I think in 89 at Whinlatter forest Cumbria :roll: :D

Currently have a White Lightning and an Alaska, previously had a Massif.

Velo

i'll be there on the massif , should be a good day out for the old raleighs :D

i think i'll try the original seat too.... :LOL:

This is the Pentlands route I'm currently trundling around:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=12504

You get the fantastic Maiden's Cleugh downhill, and the run around the side of Black Hill is very nice too. Dive off into the trees at the Harlaw reservoir just after you cross the bridge and you get some narrow and rooty footpath that skirts the water all the way round to the run-off at the visitors centre.

Downsides, it's pretty short and the tarmac ride up to Logan Lea reservoir isn't much fun, bar trying to jump the cattle grids.

Time to start scouting gumtree for some brit metal...

Thats pretty cool bud.

I have saved that website :cool:

I know must of that route too, used to use some of it bitd with my mates,
theres some really nice spots in the hills there!

I will be there all be it on the Dale (because its the only bike i own :LOL: )

Gc

I'm only kidding about the Brit metal, don't spend cash and blame me :roll:

Nice to see an old Dawes though, I spotted two today on route and at Glentress.

I suggest 15th August, Big Eck seems happy with that as do others so I reckon thats a go.

Big Eck, dont use the original saddle, its not worth the discomfort :LOL:

This could be good, haven't ridden the Pentlands in ages which is ridiculous as I live right beside them, you can see them from my house little more than a mile or so away.

Cheers, Velo

Back