Thankyou to the following
Jonnyboy666 - guide for the day, top bloke
King salsa
Jango
Lollipops
Grannygrinder
Paulb
And my mate jonny Gilbert

We met at afan on a windy Saturday morning. The weather forecast was a mixed bag. Could I thank lollipops who lived up to her name and supplied the sugar (lollipops). I would also like to thank grannygrinder for meeting up and giving me the forks.

Six of us left the car park on the first and worst climb of the day with the sun beaming down on us. Once at the top with stopped for a breather. We then continued on our way through heartburn, Granada where jonnyboy666 had the only puncture of the day. Next up was short n sweet and then rising high where the clouds came rolling in producing some drizzle that didn't last long. We then rode to the on the edge section with fantastic views of the forests and hills stretching into the distance. We then headed on our way and decided to cut a section out of our ride and headed for handy andy of which was a joy to ride. Grand canyon was next up but before we started my stumpy fsr had a problem. The rear triad shock had decided to blow up in the handy andy section. The heavens now open and gave us a good soaking. We decided to get back to the car park asap. We headed through perigrine ridge and jetlag of which would have been a joy to ride but I was nursing the fsr home, so had to take it easy.

Everyone had a good ride, and was finished with beer in the campsite. We then showered and met for food in the cafe. Jango had cup of tea and a chat before setting off. The rest of us had food ( lovely )and slowly warmed up.

Five of us (jonnyboy, king salsa, paulb, jonny and myself)camped the night and woke at five this morning to heavy rain and hail.
We packed up and had brekkie in the cafe. I think jonnyboy and king salsa left and headed for cwm carn ? for another day of riding. The rest of us headed home to torbay.

will have to do again in the future
Cheers kirbdug :D

Sounds like you all had a great ride, i'm a bit annoyed I 'bottled it' really. The rain woke me this morning in the house so it must have made a hell of a racket in the tent. Hope to meet up again soon.

Afan

Hope to get back to afan soon. I would recommend to anyone. The cafe is also good value for money. If you have never been - go as there is some excellent trails and a good bike shop.

good ride guys, we'll have to do the black trail next time.

thanks again kirbdug for the lift, much appreciated m8.

Hey guys, all reports seem to agree that you had a cool ride .... literally ... when it hailed at one point!! Lol!! :LOL:

Here's the pic I took of you all outside Glyncorrwg ... you all look very determined! ;) (And there's not a Retro-bike between you?! :shock: I don't blame you though, sounds like you needed something modern just to be able to get around the loop! :roll: )

You're welcome for the sweety-treats boys, I guessed you might need some sugar sustenance at some point!! :D

It was lovely to meet you all, and I hope to see you all again sometime in the future! :cool:

Lx

Attachments

• The boys at Glyncorrwg.jpg
    The boys at Glyncorrwg.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,799
Afan

Thanks for posting your photo lollipops

I will put names to faces here goes from left to right
Jonnyboy666, grannygrinder, jonny Gilbert, kirbdug, paul b, king salsa and jango

Sorry the bikes are modern

Cheers kirbdug :D

sounds like a nice day out lads, will have to get my butt to afan one day- no retro bikes :shock: shame on you :twisted:

who is that ugly git on the left??!!! :LOL:

atleast my bike was retro style!! being steel and having the classic paint!! :LOL:

first of all thanks to kirbdug for organizing us into a ride up at afan. i have ridden there several times before and don't really need an excuse for jumping into the car for a ride here, but this was the first time we would be camping, but it was also a test for the tent etc ready for use at mayhem next month.

anyhoo, me and matt (king salsa) left his place at about 8am saturday and drove direct to afan, no stopping so when we got there we headed straight for the cafe for munchies, and wow what awsome munchies!! we met up with jango, recognized him from the thetford meet a few weeks back and then lollipops turned up followed shortly by grannygrinder.

as we walked out of the cafe we bumped right into kirbdug, and do you know what the first thing i thought was? bugger, these guys look fit!! :shock: i was right aswel, they all just span up the first climb like it wasn't there!! they are used to climbs in torbay, we aren't!! but it wasn't that hard, just fresh legs from the car then straight into a climb isn't ideal!!

as the ride went on the rain started, initially it wasn't bad but then it stopped, then started again and then was chucking it down!!

legs got tired and we eventually got back to the start, bikes were cleaned at the jetwash, got chnged and built the tent at which point kirbdug got out the preezzies!! beer and gt85!! this guy is a true gent!! :D

after our tent was built we headed to the cafe once again for munchies, we all sat about the table stuffing our faces with lasagne, that hit the spot! aswel as the cake, the crisps, the mars bar, the tea etc!! :LOL: (well i am a growing lad!)

we all sacked back to the tents, we were woken up at about 130am by some numpties on the otherside of the hedge who were having an alcolhol fuelled argument, utter knobs but a funny moment happened among it when one of them said in a very girly way "i just want to tell you how i feel!" the next morning (today) we sussed out which group of guys it was and noticed a couple of black eyes!! but they seemed happy enough so maybe they hugged it out or spooned eachother to be friends again!! :LOL:

all in all a good weekend, and once again met some deacent guys, which seems to be a recurring theme of any retrobike meet! :D

after looking in skyline cycles we decided to sack it, the rain was due in again and we thought we'd didn't want to get the wet shoes on again to ride so we came home, it's alright though, we both have tomorrow off aswel!! ;) :D

here's some pics and i'll do a link to facebook for the rest

Attachments

• left 2 right, kingsalsa, kirbdug, jango, jonny.jpg
    left 2 right, kingsalsa, kirbdug, jango, jonny.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,777
  • assessing the view.jpg
    assessing the view.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,777
  • looking down the valley.jpg
    looking down the valley.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,777
  • homer says, NO NOT WALES!!!.jpg