SCOTLAND MacRetro Meet Jan 24th Dunkeld

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
I know there are several Scottish Retrobike members on this site who are never seen on their bikes. We have a list somewhere of at least 16 potential riders. Recently many said they'd love to get together for a meet, and so this meet has been anounced and all we get is tumble weeds and the whistling wind :cry:

None the less, some of us, the usual suspects, the auld guard are going to Dunkeld on Saturday January 24th for our Mid Winter meet.

We will do one of three potential routes weather dependent.

We will probably talk a load of old toot about our bikes and BITD stuff.

We'll take photos, laugh at each other and extract one another from what ever ditch or area of greenery we lodge ourselves in.

The whole process overall will probably be a BIG laugh :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Please join us, we don't bite and Kaiser does not look like a deranged Noddy but he is hairier :D

Give us a heads up if your coming along !

Velo

me back is now good to go- so count me in. The clockwork needs a wee run somewhere and I remember dunkeld with fondness :cool:

you are quite lucky- for the first 13 years of my life, Port Glasgow was the only place I had been to in Scotland.

Port Glasgow is a Shithole BTW Kind of everything Dunkeld is not. Sorry if you come from PG but it is 'orrible.

I've put together a map of one of the possible routes at Dunkeld. As it builds from a hefty file of GPS data it takes a moment or two to load. Once loaded you can drag the map around and scroll in / out with the slider top left.

Dunkeld map

P.S. Gazz, agree with you on Port Glasgow - nae a nice place at all. Always felt very uncomfortable driving through there and over the hill past the sugar factory and the pubs with the roller shutters :shock: .

Good work Alba 7 that map'll be very handy indeed. You've pretty much marked out what I had in mind all be it not as far, as the route which I was thinking of loops up and round Lochan Oisinneach.

Your route is probably more appropriate for January as IIRC mine is about 30 miles and so maybe more suited to the "summer". :LOL:

I'll be there if I am in the country, got a business trip but don't have dates yet.

main.php

this route is about 20-25k took a comfortable 3 hours in the summer, might be a bit cooler in january, most of the ride is exposed the rest is in woodland or pine forest.

awaycaboose":fy9tytq4 said:
Good work Alba 7 that map'll be very handy indeed...... I was thinking of loops up and round Lochan Oisinneach.
Thanks. I've only just begun to play with the Ordnance Survey OpenLayers API and the short route was the only one I could find a .gpx file for on the net. I've not ridden it myself but some kind soul had put the .gpx file on a website I stumbled upon.

If you or "the ken" had GPS files for the rides you mention / indicate, I should be able to make them into similar maps so that we had a choice.

I've not yet worked out how to make the .gpx files available for download but if / when I crack it, then in theory you should be able to download the file to your PC, link up a compatible GPS and transfer the route to the GPS to keep you right on the road / hill. Well that's the theory anyway!

Back