Area Groups Section- Suggestion box and requests

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Morning ladies and gentlemen.

I have no idea if this has been discussed before, but......

I was pondering this morning about area groups. I have probably met all the local RBers individually and i know a few locals have met the other locals, but there are gaps. All smashing folk who when they finally meet up would get on like a house on fire. My workshop is beginning to become a bit of a local haunt for some of the RBers around here (great for bike talk an good craik but not good for getting on with earning a living :LOL: )

Now this got me thinking. Yes I know there are plenty of meets and rides etc. but what about starting little area groups? Each group could have a meeting place, riding spot etc, regular monthly get togethers or even a dedicated place on the forum.

The latter idea could be a good idea as a few threads can get sidetracked by banter between local buddies.

A good example of how this set up would work is demonstrated by our kilt wearing hairy chums north of the border- the Macretro clan.

I come from the old car world where this arrangement is common place. Forums have a section for area groups to discuss local stuff and arrange meets etc.

There are many of us now (4000+ and a hardcore of around 200-250 members) and setting up groups would be quite easy to organise- break them up into geographical zones ie- Scotland north, Borders, Yorkshire & humberside, North Wales, South Wales, Darn Sarf etc. and then pick a spot central to that area as a meeting place.

Could be a good idea to get local retroheads together on a more regular basis. Another plus point is that area groups could also team together to organise bigger group meetings and events that would be too much for one person to deal with- this I found out when i tried to organise a weekend away last summer, theres a lot to sort out and it would have been much easier to spread the load.

What do you guys think? is this idea a goer? or just a little too formal? would it not be good to see faces and bikes instead of a monitor screen?

Your thoughts please esteemed retroheads ;)

Si

I think thats a great idea. I keep stumbling across members (ohh, err) who live reasonably local to me and think this would be a great way for new members, like myself, to get to meet up with, and gain knowledge from, like minded people in the area.
I've only recently re-discovered my passion for riding and its sometimes hard to get up off my arse and get out on my bike (instead of sitting here talking about it!).
Regular area meets/rides would be excellent :D

I think its a great idea too !!

I have really enjoyed the rides I have done and the people I have met :D

Top idea like all good ideas very simple but would be pretty easy to organise and us hairy jock types have started to exchange retro nice stuff at meets which avoids postage and the odd worry and keeps the cost down- £5 for a pair of XT thumbies :shock: and who says the scots are miserable.

I wish I could live in the UK.
But I can form a group of retrobikers from Poland - it is at least me and Capri_77 :)

I think it would be good to meet up reasonably regularly. Give us all an excuse - sorry, reason! - to get out a bit more.

Keep me posted about the Yorks and Humber group idea please.

Just thought as well - each area could have their own MM team for some real inter-regional rivalry! :twisted:

Back