glentress macretro aftermath

clockworkgazz

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Just some pics for now, story later- Velo is good with words, I'm sure he'll fill in the details- top day and great ride- cheers lad :cool: :cool: :cool:

Attachments

• glentress8 (Large).jpg
    glentress8 (Large).jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 2,159
  • glentress7 (Large).jpg
    glentress7 (Large).jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 2,159
  • glentress6 (Large).jpg
    glentress6 (Large).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,159
  • glentress5 (Large).jpg
    glentress5 (Large).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,159
more pics

Attachments

• glentress4 (Large).jpg
    glentress4 (Large).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 2,157
  • glentress3 (Large).jpg
    glentress3 (Large).jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 2,157
  • glentress2 (Large).jpg
    glentress2 (Large).jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 2,157
Words, me, good at, same sentence................unlikely !

However here goes a brief summary of yet another triumph of old scots bike riding (less of the old you lanky ***********, heard from stage right).

As you can see from the pictures there was a definite hint of colour at Glentress for the must do bike line up. The modern kit did look somewhat dull compared to our kit although Kaiser was convinced an on-one matched his eyes ie covered in brown mud :LOL:

We had a new bod called Dr. Dave, a coleague from work whose bike was retro due to the fact he'd never replaced it from new including also his helmet. He was the only rider to draw blood from a crash but was still grinning at the end.

We did the red route in its entirety, well almost, missed some out in favour of the blue roller coaster at the bottom.

I received a ribbing for having front suspension despite my claims rigid is best. In retrospect I should have stuck to rigid as my short travel forks and flexstem combi was too bouncy nearly causing a few unpleasant terra me interfaces. Also those who say old bikes are not suited to Glentress are right but its still butt clenchingly good fun :D :D

Mr Hendrix and Clockworkgaz had the right idea with their full bouncers, the GT got many admiring glances.

However kaiser had chosen a hardtail over his usual full sus and seemed even better a rider than previously observed. I think he has found his steed !

Dave had discovered his new Dyna-Tech was a tad harsher than expected and was getting badly beat up, eventually he had to retire early.
At one point several freeride modern types shot past me closely persued by Dave with the shouted comment 'Bull,Red Rag!'. He did not catch them but not for lack of effort :cool:

Dr.Dave was a happier man since I had equipped his bike with some period Marzocchi's. Previous visits had hurt his wrists, further evidence of Glentress's unforgiving terrain.

All in all yet another excellent MacRetro meet with no serious injury to person if not bike. Kaisers rear mech exploded near the bottom on the flat bit :shock: :roll:

Finally copious tea and cake, yummy

We will return in the summer to tackle the entire black with a picnic stop halfway. Feel free to join us, although bring fat tyres, wide bars, good brakes, suspension and no serious desire to perform like a sporting god !

Cheers all

Fantastic day, great trails and gorgeous place :) , the rain held
off for most of the day too which was a bonus, some of the climbs
were heavy going (especially on a 30Lb full susser with no granny :) ), but the drops were well worth the effort, especially liked the fast
flowing stuff on the blue route towards the end and the short steep section
Davedownhill took Kaiser, Gazz and i down was a corker :cool:

Nice to meet new face Dr Dave too, he made a great effort
considering he's not on a bike very often, hope he enjoyed himself
and
isn't feelling too ragged today (he probably will be though :) )

Definetely looking forward to going back to Glentress and highly recommended for any Retrobikers in the north of England to make the trip
up if they haven't done so before, you wont be dissapointed.

Off to spend a couple of hours cleaning the bike now :D

dirtylts.jpg

:cool: :cool: can't really add to any of the above, classic day out :D

Sorry I missed this guys, looks like it was as good as the last time, I will get down to the next one.

LTS looks stunning.

DHDave, maybe you're more suited to a heavy steed, more predictable over jumps than a lightweight Dynatech, good colour scheme though.

It was a great day indeed and some nice machines as you say- the ridgeback was my fav. ;)

Would any non-scots be up for a meet at glentress next year and if so are there any dates that folk would prefer?

You are very lucky I was taking the pictures as my outfit has the ability to make grown men cry :oops:

Jimihendrix- shiny GT, davedownhill- Yellow dyna-tech jobbie, velomaniac massive lurid raleigh, big dave- basic ridgeback (not on forum), The one and only Kaiser gt wide bar karogram or whatever the feck it is called?

Attachments

• glentress8_large_595.jpg
    glentress8_large_595.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 2,050

Latest posts

Back